11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Re: Anyone been to York? _Things to do

Post by mystery »

This thread is making me very homesick!
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Fountains Abbey is National Trust but Studley Royal (attached) was English Heritage. Membership of either gets you free admission to both.

Whilst I agree York minster is not owned by English Heritage the card still offers 50% discount on admission. It also gives 15% off Jorvik and Dig.
Last edited by Minesatea on Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The Railway Museum is just a marvel. Don't miss the exhibit about the Night Mail, with the WH Auden poem commentary: it is riveting.

I didn't like Jorvik because I can feel claustrophobic, and the initial talk is in a very small room. Something in the intro gave me the feeling that we were about to be catapulted downwards in the form of a lift (not so), and I had to ask to leave. :oops:

I worked my way back round most of the circuit from the end, and eventually realised that my fears were unnecessary, but the opening session is not enjoyable for those who don't like enclosed spaces. The whole experience was good, but not stunningly memorable for any of us.

I agree that you need to get there well before opening time - the queue is immense after that, almost regardless of school holidays, and the "introduction" only allows around 30 people to be admitted for each session. As each session lasts around 10 minutes (including settling in), that gives you an idea of how long you might have to wait when you see the queue.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

My sons love the railway museum and my daughter the York Castle Museum. Although not cheap, if the weather is nice you could always do a boat trip down the river.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Minesatea wrote:Fountains Abbey is National Trust but Studley Royal (attached) was English Heritage. Membership of either gets you free admission to both.

Whilst I agree York minster is not owned by English Heritage the card still offers 50% discount on admission. It also gives 15% off Jorvik and Dig.

Thanks for that info Minesatea, I didn't know that (we are English Heritage members). Can you direct me to the page which tells you about these offers/discounts please?
Clare

Post by Clare »

Thank you all for your responses.

Mystery- I have three children, two girls 16 and 15 and a boy of 11 I will have a car and am staying a walk from the centre.( I think!)

The Railway Museum will be a must for the boy, who is a railway enthusiast.

I like the look of the Castle Museum-the Victorian street and the 1960's street look interesting.

Jorvik seems to have mixed reviews. I am thinking if I can get Tesco clubcard tickets and get there at first knockings it might be worth doing but this will be a challenge with teenagers!

Bettys hmm I don't mind splashing out for a memorable experience.Is it the history,building or the food that is worth going for?

Any other suggestions on restaurants?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

The Betty's experience is about the building and the food. The toilets in Harrogate are out of this world - think 1920's chic, marble, expensive, boudoir sort of place. I understand the York one is the same, but not having used the loos there I can't guarantee it - perhaps someone else can? The food is wonderful, but no better than what you'd find in other places. Really, it's about the whole experience. Most days they have a pianist playing whilst you're indulging - again think 1920/30's experience. Great for a one off treat, not something which you'd do every day.

Here's a link to their website:

http://www.bettys.co.uk/bettys_york.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dw_richard

Post by dw_richard »

Bettys' (in York) ... ah, the place waistlines are made of.

You simply must have a table upstairs, downstairs is in the basement with no natural lighting.

Tea is served in proper teapots with heavyweight tea-strainers and spoons (it is leaf-tea, not tea bags). Ask for more hot water if required.
Service is typical old fashioned style.
The cakes are lovely, as is the savoury food.

Toilets are clean, and can be found downstairs and to the - right near the mirrors that were scratched with messages by the USAF bomber crews in WW2, (and are now protected by sheets of clear plastic). It's well worth spending a few moments looking at these as many of these crews never came home.

It's not cheap, but you are not paying for PG-tips tea bags from a self service cafe. There is a good reason why this place is popular (expect to queue for a table, half an hour at peak times is not uncommon). It's an old-fashioned tea-room, not a modern coffee shop with TV's and disco music.

I love the place and whenever I'm in York, I try to get there.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Betty's is definitely all about tasty and the wonderful experience... it is how tea shops should be. pricey though, but as a one off - great!
dw_richard

Post by dw_richard »

Snowdrops - details of discounts to English Heritage members from non EH properties can be found in the members handbook (just checked the 2011/2012 handbook) - Look under "Associated Attractions" at the end of each region.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now