Driving test

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hetal27

Driving test

Post by hetal27 »

I am worried because my driving test is in a few weeks time so does anyone have any good tip that is helpful to pass
Thanks, Hetal
chattabox

Re: Driving test

Post by chattabox »

Hi there!

Try your best to stay calm, maybe start taking Kalms a few days before the test.

Whilst on your test, if you think you have made a mistake, do not give up! That small mistake may not be as bad as you think.

Take your time and listen carefully to the instructions the examiner gives you, if you don't understand, ask them to repeat what they have just said.

Good luck! :D
hetal27

Post by hetal27 »

Thanks for your help hopefully pass :?
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

I spent a decade as a driving Instructor but that was thirty years ago. In those days women drivers were better than men: they didn't drive to appease their egos. Things are different now. Not only are cars faster and more sophisticated but roads are far more congested and ALL drivers think they are Gods Gift. By contrast the driving test standard is absolutely basic. It asks little more than the absolute minimum ability. If you have genuinly prepared for the test and your instructor thinks you realisticly stand a fair chance of passing then fine and Good Luck. However, the teaching process is now a cynical and commercial process and you are not necessarilly equiped to pass. I see, daily, drivers driving on the phone and breaking the basic rules of the road. Rules I havent broken in forty years of driving. It is not rocket science, drive like a novice, a carefull novice and you will pass if you are fit. If you are failed by an examiner then he/she is doing you and every road user a service!
Good luck!
whitehart

Post by whitehart »

2 failed school applications and a driving test? WOW
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Goodness , Sassiesdad...a whole decade as a driving instructor ?! You must be a very patient man and have quite a few grey hairs, I should imagine !

I'm sure you will be fine Hetal.Just try to relax and drive sensibly as Sassie's dad says ( and he's the expert ) .I used to get in a right state when I was learning...it didn't help that my Dad would sit next to me with one hand on the handbrake, whilst muttering profanities....and I failed my first test due to pulling out infront of a truck and the examiner had to perform an emergency stop :shock: but I then just practiced loads so I was confident...and tried not to worry !
frosties

Post by frosties »

Good luck with you test hetal27.
Out of interest how many lessons have you had so far ?
It's just that my son is learning to drive with a well known driving school and his instructor wants him to have 2 hr lessons. He is telling me it takes an average of 48 hrs to pass !!!!
I seem to remember only having 1 hr lessons myself and doing it in much less time.
Does anyone know if this is fairly average. At 2 hrs a week my money is being swallowed up.
I'm not taking him out myself as we can't afford the insurance, maybe this makes the difference. Plus the roads are busier I suppose.
I know everyone will be different just need reassurance 48 hrs is 'average'.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

It must vary according to the individual...I had over 150 hours :oops: How is your son doing ? Does he seem ready to take his test ? Can your son chip in ?
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

I do not know the current statistics but it used to be that individuals would on average fail eight times. That is absurd given the driving test has not changed materialy since 1935. It is all very well to have a laugh but one literally sees individual drivers taking a liberty every day. Did anyone spot the 21 year old who recently went to court for KILLING a motorcycalist? The driver was using her mobile phone at the time and her mother (a driving instructor) interveened unsuccessfully to avoid an accident given she was a front seat passenger. The outcome was still fatal for the motor cycle rider and the guilty driver was most worried she would be inconvenience by her loss of licence. She even took her mobile to court and was busy using it when sentance was passed!
hetal27

Post by hetal27 »

Thanks for your help I think I have done 25 lessons so far I have by the time my test comes I will have done 38 lessons :P :| :idea: