Feeding Children

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scary mum

Re: Feeding Children

Post by scary mum »

Mine won't eat salad! Maybe a spot of cucumber but that's about it. That's why I feed them early otherwise it's def cakes & biscuits. The deal later on is that they are only allowed fruit, yoghurt or cereal as my thinking is that if they are genuinely hungry they will be more than happy with that. Mine do love their unhealthy food but I can always get them to eat fruit - although they would prefer it dipped in chocolate :)
scary mum
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

We have one with a humongous appetite in the family, ds2, who is 11 yrs old. He just has to have four full meals and often another light one just before bed. He doesn't like to sleep late- has a long day (9am - 7 pm).

His appetite is astonishing. Eats well for break fast (cereal, toast with a boiled egg) and a packed lunch for school. A typical after school 'tea' includes a hot meal (rice or a pasta dish or pizza) plus four whole pieces of fruit, a fairy cake and a carrot. Whereas some of the others struggle on that, (although the cake is the first to go), he'll wolf it all down and have a second (or sometimes a third) helping!

After tea, he's out for a couple of hours and will snack on crisps and a chocolate during club time. After that, he'll come home and will have a full dinner (always a second serving). Just before bed, not always but it is common, he'll ask if he can have a bowl of cereal or if he can make himself some toast!

When dh is around on the weekends, the answer is a 'no' simply because he's concerned that ds2 appears gluttonous. Often he reminds him that he should not only eat slowly but also, not to eat to his 'full'.

But the trouble is that he's taken after my side of the family :oops: and is just like his uncle: extremely generous, terribly skinny but with a great appetite!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Does anyone have children who sneakily help themselves to food ...or is that just mine ?! :oops:

DS2 and DD regularly have a good old squirt of the ( obviously ) squirty cream I keep for hot choccies and I also find remnants of food over the kitchen surface when I arise in the morning. Do you think I am starving them or are they just plain greedy ?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Perhaps they go downstairs for the 3am feed. Good job they don't live in my house or they'd meet me down there too having a bowl of branflakes to save time in the morning.

One of my children photosynthesises - I don't know how else she takes in enough energy to grow, the other one has studied carefully what will cause atherosclerosis and eats a diet exclusively of those foodstuffs.

My stepchildren widened their diet during the teenage years; prior to that they would only eat things akin to cardboard and wallpaper paste.

As to the amount - apart from my plant, it seems to be very unpredictable - varying from portions suitable for a 6foot pole vaulter down to a woodlouse.

I only allow them to eat white food in bed as it doesn't show on the sheets. They are invariably hungry at bedtime but if offered cabbage they quickly change their minds and say they are full.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Mystery, you've just made me choke during lunch...so witty!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Hope it's just white stuff, DIY Mum...so it doesn't mark your silk table runner.........
doodles

Post by doodles »

Scarlett, I'll make you feel better, one of mine secretly scoffs too! When he was unwell once and in bed I thought I would keep him company and tidy his room. When I went under the bed, never safe at the best of times, I found (dramatic drum roll 'cos you won't believe this one) an empty tube of ready made icing :oops: :oops: :oops: which he had eaten on the quiet.
DIY Mum

Post by DIY Mum »

No, not white stuff....I tend to scoff when the kids are away :oops: If only I could photosynthesize!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Aaah thanks , Doodles ! I was beginning to think the 2 were developing bulimic tendencies....I make it a golden rule never to check under the beds...so who knows what packets etc lurk under there , but DD does inform me that DS2 eats the hamster food up in his bedroom........

Oh, and who owns up to eating the childrens easter eggs when they are asleep ?! A little nibble around the edges and you can blame a perfectly innocent mouse.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Hands up to the ears off the chocolate bunny last night - it fell out of the fridge, honest.