"voluntary donation" for school trips?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scarlett

Re: "voluntary donation" for school trips?

Post by scarlett »

How depressing this thread has become ! I have 3 children at one school and yes, my heart does sink sometimes at the seemingly constant requests for money, especially this time of year ( school photos soon ...shelling out for piccies of my children with their hair sticking up and food down their jumpers ) but it's not all about education...most of the trips do consolidate whatever they are learning but other trips such as the pantomime at Christmas are still important too and might be something that many children don't experience otherwise.....

( I would do what I try to, Boltblue and offer yourself up as chief helper and then you get a freebie too ! :P )
BoltBlue

Post by BoltBlue »

scarlett wrote: ( I would do what I try to, Boltblue and offer yourself up as chief helper and then you get a freebie too ! :P )
Then who would earn the money to pay for the trip for the child?

What annoys me is that State schools are funded by taxation.
I have to pay tax. Then the school wants money for something that should be free.
This is a double charge.

People who don't work, end up getting everything free!
School meals (arn't home made sandwiches cheaper? Do children get school meals during holidays? if not why do they get free school meals at school when others take their own packed lunches?) Explain the logic.
Work and you pay for everything!

Scrap free school meals and use it for free trips!

Don't forget to vote today. You've guessed who I voted for!
jingle

Post by jingle »

And I thought Victor Meldrew was dead!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

It was a joke BB...but I can tell you're not in a jovial mood......

I do agree with what you are saying and as someone who is firmly in the middle so doesn't receive help financially but isn't rolling in it, yes it is a huge gripe with me too....but haven't things always been the same ? Can it really be changed ? I just want to live in my little bubble to be honest, in my house in the middle of nowhere and pretend everything is ok... and I know you will have plenty to say about that, BB but that's the way I like it !
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

jingle wrote:And I thought Victor Meldrew was dead!
:lol: :lol:
When the children are asleep, don't the teachers have free time?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last residential trip I went on I finally got to bed at 3 after trying to get overexcited children to go to sleep and was woken at 5 by 2 girls telling me that their friend had been sick all over the bunk and floor...had to clean up by torch light so as not to wake the rest...my job is varied to say the least.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

yoyo123 wrote:

Last residential trip I went on I finally got to bed at 3 after trying to get overexcited children to go to sleep and was woken at 5
DH went on the last residential and he was woken up at 5 every morning by the boy next door throwing a bouncy ball constantly at their adjoining wall...he said after 3 days he felt like chucking the ball and the owner out of the window !
BoltBlue

Post by BoltBlue »

scarlett wrote:It was a joke BB...but I can tell you're not in a jovial mood......
I was being sarcastic.

All school trips should be in school holidays.
Then the child care cost can offset the cost of the trip.

Bed at 3am? Looks like a case of poor discipline. Can't teachers control children?

Residential trips during term time? What did they learn? Maths, English or was it play and fun?
Looks like a holiday to me.
Then how can a teacher object to family holidays during term time, if the schools are doing the same thing?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Can't teachers control children?
There are times when we know not to rise to the bait of the attention seekers :wink:
mad?

Post by mad? »

yoyo123 wrote:
Can't teachers control children?
There are times when we know not to rise to the bait of the attention seekers :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mad?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

All school trips should be in school holidays.
Well that would be convenient, Boltblue. The you would be complaining that the schools expect you to arrange your holidays around them. I agree with Scarlett ( :) ) - some school trips are nice to lighten things a little for the kids but it's not nice to be continually asked to fund extras. Incidentally, have you also thought that it might give some kids an opportunity to have a bit of fun and visit somewhere they might not get the opportunity to visit with their families because of lack of money or no inclination to do so? My DC went to Chessington as a treat with school after 11 plus and SATS - yes it cost us something, but not as much as the normal entry fee and some children had never and would never have the opportunity to go otherwise. It was a nice bit of fun after a difficult year in year 6 (in spite of the Bucks 11 plus being easy of course :lol: :lol: ) and all the kids loved it. Mind you, I was glad not to be going!
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now