Hiring a skip

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
push-pull-mum

Hiring a skip

Post by push-pull-mum »

Well - this goes against all my recycling/hoarding/retentive principles but there is so much rubbish being stored in my house and shed that a lot of it will have to go. ExDH was a much more obsessive hoarder even than myself but since he left 18 months ago he has not offered a home to any of it.

So - do I convince a friend with a large car (and preferably a large husband for heavy lifting purposes) to come help me smash things to pieces and then do as many trips to the local tip as it takes to dump it all? Or do I just hire a small skip and sling it all in?

Worryingly, skip renting websites don't advertise prices - so expect they're pretty high. And would I need a special license from the council to park a skip on my road? It's permit parking so I have to pay even to have a friend round for coffee.

Advice please, forumites. :D
bromley mum

Re: Hiring a skip

Post by bromley mum »

I would say if you can get someone to help then do so. Skips aren't hugely expensive but do cost, nevertheless and you will need a permit to park on the road. The advantage would be that you would just dump everything in and you'll be done.

(I would get a skip and pay the man extra to then take the skip to exDH's :D )
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

bromley mum wrote:(I would get a skip and pay the man extra to then take the skip to exDH's :D )
Ooh!Ooh! So tempting ...
No, bad push-pull, off to church you go and stop thinking bad thoughts .... :evil:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

In my experience, the skip company would liaise with the council to organise a permit.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Last time I hired a skip it was £40 for a medium sized one and I didn't need to organise a licence/permit, the company sees to all that.

I should imagine it would be around £70/£80 now for a medium one. But the experience of clearing things out is so much easier if you do have a skip.

A word of warning though! Do be prepared for 'things' to suddenly appear in your skip that you never placed there yourself. I'd recommend having a sort through of your stuff first, perhaps storing it all in one room, so it's ready for when the skip arrives more or less, then you won't find the skip filled by 'others' :shock: :shock:

The easy thing to do is just ring the company and ask!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

A word of warning though! Do be prepared for 'things' to suddenly appear in your skip that you never placed there yourself.
And people help themselves - particularly if you have metal items. As far as I'm concerned they are welcome to them - better reused than dumped, but it's a bit disconcerting when people knock on your door asking for your old rubbish!

And use a reputable firm - partly because of permits, but also because rogue firms steal other firms' skips, deliver them, ask for cash and then don't come back. I know, it's happened to me and I had to then find someone willing to come and take it away (more cost and they don't like to collect skips with another comnpany's name on them for fear of reprisals). I was trying to save money and ended up with a skip outside the house for two months and it cost me twice as much. Make sure the company has an address and a land line number. Apparently it is quite widespread.
scary mum
hilltop

Post by hilltop »

Could you do a car boot sale? We made £150 last weekend selling excess junk.

Or use freecycle so people come and collect from you, thus saving the skip fee.
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

Snowdrops don't know where you get your skips from but that is extremely cheap - pass me the number.

We have had numurous skips over the last 3 yeasr (building work, clearing out etc) I would say you are looking on average at £120 ish. I know you require a permit but can't tell you cost as we are on a private road so doesn't apply.

What you will find is that you will alway fill the skip, it's amazing what you find lurking behind the shed, in the loft, garage etc. I would say it is worth the money. What we find is people always knock on the door to ask if they can take things out, paving slabs, wood etc.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

scary mum wrote:
And people help themselves - particularly if you have metal items. As far as I'm concerned they are welcome to them - better reused than dumped, but it's a bit disconcerting when people knock on your door asking for your old rubbish!

And use a reputable firm - partly because of permits, but also because rogue firms steal other firms' skips, deliver them, ask for cash and then don't come back.

I was so fed up with DH trotting off to the dump with half a car load and returning with a full car load plus items strapped to the roof that I made him order a skip......I regretted it when it turned up a week early and was lowered onto the drive blocking in my car ...I had no choice but to run out with my dressing gown on looking like a complete plum and to my further embarrassment found the top half was , ahem, gaping slightly...the next week I noticed to my shame the same smirking teenager who had tried to deliver it was back and this time had a couple of friends squashed in the lorry with him :oops:
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Snowdrops wrote:The easy thing to do is just ring the company and ask!
Ok - push-pull-confession-time - I hate having to deal with 'blokey' things like skips and plumbers etc and know that if I 'phone up sounding very ignorant I will end up agreeing with whatever they say and having a huge skip with a plenary indulgence from the Pope delivered in the middle of my holiday and collected five minutes later with the neighbour's old 3 piece suite in it. I want to feel the combined wisdom of the EPE behind me when I call tomorrow and then, hopefully, I might get what I want, when I want, and if I'm really lucky at a price I can afford.
hilltop wrote:Could you do a car boot sale? We made £150 last weekend selling excess junk.

Or use freecycle so people come and collect from you, thus saving the skip fee.
In the words of Maria (Sound of Music) - "The poor didn't want these." :)
This is the junk so terrible that nobody else would have it.
2 mismatched halves of a double bed base anyone? 1992 computer - already harvested for parts?
Both of these - and other lovely rubbish - actually moved house with us 4 years ago because apparently then DH couldn't do without them. I even pushed the computer through the street in a buggy because the removal men 'forgot' it!
Love was blind .... :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now