Even More School Woes !

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scarlett

Re: Even More School Woes !

Post by scarlett »

Yes, I'll be here for years too I think ! The possibilites are endless :)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I mean 2012 of course (bit of a she-lion moment :lol: :lol: ).
scary mum
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I did wonder ! I thought you meant from now to goodness knows when because you were aiming to perhaps have a baby every year just so you could stay on this forum ( until you collapse )
doodles

Post by doodles »

Oh Scarlett, it must be so frustrating for you knowing you have the same teacher next year too.

I think the advise not to join the general posse is good, I think you'll get more response from the school if you speak to them only about your concerns (if you have any) and stay out of the general whinge! Have a quiet word with the teacher about your DC asking what you can do to help and leave it at that. Do you think that one of these parents has suddenly realised that secondary school is looming and has put the rest into a panic? You are probably seen as calm and in control and they want to pick your brain rather than do the research themselves.

May be worth forewarning DH that trouble may be brewing. Forewarned is forearmed and all that....
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Thanks Doodles.Yes I did inform DH who is ( as we speak ) at the school unblocking the toilets yet again....his response was just a small selection of well chosen words but perhaps I caught him at a bad time ( donning his rubber gloves !)

I am worried that DS is still getting a less then great education but I do feel for the teacher and I think she would be devastated if she had parents complaining to her ...I often see her drive past my house hours after everyone else goes home and I think the gripe is really with the head for not perhaps supporting her in providing the best.

The other parents don't really want to do anything themselves and I find it amazing that parents think it strange to work at home with your child ! Thanks for describing me as calm and in control ! I like it, Doodley doo !
mystery

Post by mystery »

Which sub-committee of the governing body is responsible for unblocking toilets? :shock:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

The section which contains the only man under the age of 60. :)
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Thanks so much Belinda ! I know I can count on you to act as wise old owl ! I'm hoping when I'm in your position I will look back and think that everything has worked out for the best and why did I panic ?! I have sorted out all the maths workbooks and put together a bit of a plan for DS to work through and hopefully that will do the trick !
Kiwimum

Post by Kiwimum »

As a school governor I can tell you that we are aware of any issues with the quality of teaching in our school, it features on the agenda at a full Governors meeting as well as several sub-committees. It is top priority in our School Improvement Plan. Unfortunately if the quality of teaching is not up to scratch it is the children who suffer. We make sure the Head is acting on any weaknesses and squeeze the budget to allow staff training, support etc.

We advise the following if there is a problem
1. Speak to the teacher, perhaps the teacher is unaware that parents have concerns and may be able to deal with them (ask why their child is not progressing, what the teacher can do to improve the situation not accusing the teacher of not doing a good job)
2. If the problem continues speak to the Head, explain the situation and why they still have concerns.
3. Finally if the situation has not improved put it in writing to the governors.
Governors cannot act on playground gossip and moans however any complaint put in writing must be fully investigated and documented.

It's amazing how many people are happy to moan in the playground to me but when I tell them to put it in writing their moans soon disappear!
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how nice the teacher is it is the quality of teaching that is the issue here and some extra support from the Head regarding behaviour in the classroom maybe all that is needed.