Cycling for kids?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Midget Man

Cycling for kids?

Post by Midget Man »

Hope someone can help me!

Our 2 young children (8 and 5) have only just learnt to ride their bikes and took them around Willen Lake(MK,Bucks) which was perfect, wide paths, flat and nice open area, no pebbly paths like in wooded areas and are now looking at other places of a similar nature. I have been looking everywhere online for ideal cycling places within Bucks/Beds but wondered if anyone on here as any personal recommendations?

Many Thanks
pheasantchick

Re: Cycling for kids?

Post by pheasantchick »

Come to Kent - there lots of places around here!

I used to live not far from you (ds's still support MK Dons). The only places I know are along the canal but I can't remember where from. Also, The Nicky Lane in Harpenden. And around Stewartby lake near Bedford.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

I may well have to Pheasantchick :D The only thing with along the canals is that the paths aren't particularly wide and too close to the waters edge for my liking and not enough room for them to veer their bikes round other people! Will look into those other 2 though :)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Wendover Woods. A touch hilly, but otherwise ideal - a few pebbly paths in places. Also Ashridge Estate - more level, and lots of safe roads or paths, most of which are relatively smooth.
andyb

Post by andyb »

The Phoenix Trail runs along a disused railway track in the Princes Risborough/Thame area so is wide and reasonably flat. It's part of the Sustrans network so you should be able to google it for more info.
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Hi there - Dorney Lake (site for Olympics rowing) is fab for kids cycling. Flat paths - lots of them - ideal for cycling, roller blading etc - just check its not closed for an event before you head over. :D
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Now realise if we want to go to further afield places, then we will need a bike rack, trouble is there are 5 of us and finding something suitable for 5 is not easy :(

I have been searching for kids cycling idea's as my 5yr old is very keen indeed and seems there is a Go-Ride near us. It sounds fab, little races, training each week with others their age, would be ideal to keep them interested. Does anyone else have their children involved with these clubs? 5yr old ds only learnt to ride his bike 2wks and 5 days ago and has already been on a 10 mile bike ride yesterday and is on his bike the minute he see's it each morning!!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Can I hijack this thread with a cycling question. At what age would you allow your child to cycle on the road by themselves?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

18+ - seriously, the roads these days, I'd be scared to do it myself let alone allow kids to do it.
SSM

Post by SSM »

Depends totally on their confidence, ability and the type of roads. We live in a village with some country lanes and some roads with pavements. I used to let my DC ride to the park by themselves, youngest at the time being 9, as long as they went the route that had pavements all the way.

My youngest (nearly 13), now rides on the country lanes by himself. But he is a very confident and capable cyclist. He does a lot of cycling and enjoys Mountain biking (serious downhill stuff- I refuse to watch as it just makes me cringe).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now