Cycling for kids?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

push-pull-mum

Re: Cycling for kids?

Post by push-pull-mum »

pheasantchick wrote:Can I hijack this thread with a cycling question. At what age would you allow your child to cycle on the road by themselves?
Daughter will be cycling to school when she goes to Secondary in September. We have already agreed the route she has to take. There are lots of places I wouldn't want her cycling ever - but I suppose once I've let her out on her bike alone it's a baby step towards complete cycling autonomy. She's done the Bikeability training courses at school and I would highly recommend them.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

18 by themselve's?? It is far more wise to get them out on their bikes and learning whilst they are young, bikeability course or to join a cycling club. An experienced child of 11/12 will be the far more sensible and safer rider than the 18yr old who has had zilch experience!

Get them joining a cycle club :D :D
SSM

Post by SSM »

Whatever age, please make sure they wear a properly fitting helmet.

I know a very serious cyclist who came off his bike last year and hit his head on the curb. Luckily he was wearing a helmet, as he never goes on a bike without one, he walked away with a 2cm dent in his helmet (rather than his head) and a few scratches. I'm sure he wouldn't of been able to walk away from that accident if he wasn't wearing a helmet.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now