Holiday during term time - yay or nay?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scarlett

Re: Holiday during term time - yay or nay?

Post by scarlett »

Well, I shall be wearing my stripy 1900s bathing costume and you can tell the teachers you are ensuring the Key Stage 2 swimming curriculum has been adhered to.
Plum

Post by Plum »

Go for it!

We took DCs out several times in primary school but always with school permission. Once we went to Oz for 5 weeks over Easter but the HT was fine about it (I think it helped that she came from Oz herself). OH being a rozza, enabled us to use the excuse that he couldn't get time off in the school hols this year (we're not allowed to say that we're doing it coz it's cheaper or that's when they have better weather etc - neither applicable to the Oz holiday, by the way!) which is not strictly true but not an outright lie either :oops:

One thing I would say though, going away in term time instead of the summer hols didn't save us much money in the long run as you still have to keep the kids entertained! (Merlin passes were a godsend!)
C. J.

Post by C. J. »

Bit of a grumpy teacher's view I know, but can I assume that those parents who think it's okay to do this would also not mind being told their DC would be having a supply teacher(s) for two weeks while the class teacher was away on holiday?

Sauce for the goose....
KS10

Post by KS10 »

or that their teacher was going on strike? :wink:

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

My opinion: a holiday once in term time during a child's schooling (and before year 10) would not bother me much, unless that child had a poor attendance record or was having holidays in term time every year.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

C. J. wrote:Bit of a grumpy teacher's view I know, but can I assume that those parents who think it's okay to do this would also not mind being told their DC would be having a supply teacher(s) for two weeks while the class teacher was away on holiday?

Sauce for the goose....
KS10 wrote:or that their teacher was going on strike? :wink:
Really don't see the comparison - even as a joke.

Is the point of this thread to debate whether a parent should take a child out of school with permission - or whether they should lie and break the law in order to do so? Worryingly, a lot of us don't seem to see much of a difference.
zorro

Post by zorro »

I would never do it, it is saying to your child that it's ok to break the rules and disobey the school. With permission for something like a family wedding , then yes - that's ok.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

sherry_d wrote:Just seeking your opinions. Would you take a holiday in the term time? :?

The same holiday is costing 3 times more during the summer holiday and seeing as my DD wont be doing much after SATS my heart tells me to just do it in the term time.
I thought that this was the original point of the post myself. I feel that I have answered it.

As for the comparison, if you miss school because you go on holiday, you miss lessons. If teachers go on strike, you miss lessons.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

KS10 wrote: As for the comparison, if you miss school because you go on holiday, you miss lessons. If teachers go on strike, you miss lessons.
:lol:

just goes to show, so many of us can get annoyed about striking teachers, not me, I hasten to add :D
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Nor me obviously. :) My first post was an attempt at humour (which I still find funny btw) but it didn't go down too well. And as I said in a previous post I'm not completely anti-holiday in term time. If I were, I would be the biggest of all hypocrites as I took both of my kids out of school to go to my aunt's surprise 70th b'day party in LA ... with permission, of course. We missed 12 school days, so 2 days were unauthorised but with permission, if that makes sense.

Ok, ok, that should've been Nor I, I think .
Last edited by KS10 on Tue May 17, 2011 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Funny though, and i don't know , nor am I interested in, who agreed with strike action and who didn't - but some of us are so happy to take our children out of school when it suits us, and yet can also get fed up when our schools are disrupted due to strike action. Cake and eat mentality, methinks :D Is it possibly something to do with the cost of childcare :wink: or the cost of holidays :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now