Braces

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dottie1974

Braces

Post by dottie1974 »

Hi

My dd (age 11) has had her 'train tracks' fitted this morning. I was expecting her to be grumping all the way back to school that it was hurting and aching but she wasn't suffering at all :?

Is it likely that they have been gentle this time as she has had 4 adult teeth out in past 10 days and they don't want to traumatise her anymore?? We need to go back in six weeks for it to be looked at again. DD is thrilled by this as they said that as long as she has looked after the brace and teeth by cleaning properly, she can have coloured elastic bits on them next time.

Thanks

Dottie
scary mum

Re: Braces

Post by scary mum »

Do you mean she has nothing connecting the bits attached to her teeth? If so, that's why they aren't hurting, but I've never heard of that before. My DD's hurt like crazy when the were fitted and hurt quite a lot every time they are tightened. I now give her pain killers before she goes in.
scary mum
dottie1974

Post by dottie1974 »

She has had the wire fitted through the brackets on the teeth, and the orthodontist warned her that it would ache, which is why I was suprised that she seems fine. She isn't known for her high pain threshold so I doubt very much she is putting on a brave face or anything lol!!

Perhaps when she comes out of school it might ache? Who knows, the world of orthodontistry is a mystery. It will be great if she isn't in any pain as I was struggling to come up with any more ideas for food beyond pasta and cous cous!

(She wasn't allowed coloured elastic things around the brackets this time, just plain silver I think, as the dentist uses the coloured onces as an incentive to keep the teeth clean)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Perhaps when she comes out of school it might ache?
Maybe, or maybe she will be lucky. I know the first few days really were awful for DD (she isn't known for her high pain threshold either :roll: ). We ate a lot of vegetable soup, fruit smoothies, milk shakes etc. Even tinned spaghetti hoops :oops: .
scary mum
Y

Post by Y »

Get ready with the ibuprofen (assuming your child can take it - it's anti-inflammatory, so more effective than paracetamol), because the pain sets in later. Soft foods are the order of the day.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I think it varies. DS has had no problems at all with his train tracks - although we only have them on the bottom teeth at present. Able to eat most things straight away - although very cross that I won't let him eat ribs for fear of him snapping the wire and no problem with his voice either, which was good as he had a choir concert 3 days later! (Very bad planning!)
However a friend had dreadful speech problems and was on soft food for ages. She had top and bottom on together though so perhaps that makes a difference.
The removable brace on his top teeth caused more of a problem with food initially and we did resort to taking it out for some meals although he was not supposed to.

Lets hope she is one of the lucky ones.
sp

Post by sp »

DD had hers fitted top and bottom on Tuesday and the biggest pain (literally) is the little mounds on her back teeth. Apparently they are to stop her top teeth rubbing on the bottom brace but she says it is v painful to chew. So far had microwaved M & S lasagna as it doesn't go nice and crispy, weetabix for breakfast, risotto (2 bowls full so I assume she hadn't had much school lunch!). Will probably do some over cooked pasta carbonara and mush it all up (like going back to baby days!)
zorro

Post by zorro »

The pain does set in later. DS had his fitted on a Saturday morning and was fine (or so we thought!). He then went on a sleepover and was in agony there, couldn't eat anything. It took about a week until he could eat normally.
Paracetamol was fine and relieved the pain.
dottie1974

Post by dottie1974 »

Well, so far so good and not as bad as I was expecting.

She is feeling pressure that she is finding a little uncomfortable, but nothing that ibuprofen isn't curing. She is also getting a mouth ulcer where one of the back brackets is rubbing against her cheek, but the dentist gave her some wax to relieve this.

Lets see what tomorrow brings....!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DD says the wax is rubbish & you just get used to having mouth ulcers! I have to say she has been a very bad patient and I look forward enormously to the day she has them taken off! She swears it us not worth it but I have to say her teeth are looking lovely and the were truly awful before. :D
scary mum