New Admissions Code - what do make of it?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

WP

Re: New Admissions Code - what do make of it?

Post by WP »

The drafts are here. Apart from the advertised provisions for priority for children of staff, I notice that it's proposed that objections regarding Academies will go to the Schools Adjudicator, and the deadline for objections will be advanced to 30th June.
Last edited by WP on Mon May 30, 2011 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link
pippi

Post by pippi »

WP's link didn't work for me - I think this is the direct line:
http://www.education.gov.uk/consultatio ... 260511.pdf
Some of these bits look new:
1.3 Anyone who considers that any maintained school or Academy’s admission arrangements are unfair or unlawful or not in compliance with the Code or relevant law relating to admissions can make an objection to the Schools Adjudicator. In respect of an objection in relation to an increase in PAN, there will be a strong presumption in favour of increase unless the increase would lead to a clear threat to pupil safety.
1.25 Tests for all forms of selection must be clear, objective, and give an accurate reflection of the child’s ability or aptitude, irrespective of sex, race, or disability. It is for the admission authority as to which test is used, providing that the test is a true test of aptitude or ability.
1.26 Admission authorities must: inform parents of the outcome of selection tests before parents make applications for other schools – while making clear that this does not equate to a guarantee of a selective place.
2.6 Applying for places at Sixth Form - Children and their parents applying for sixth form places may use the CAF although if they are already on roll they are not required to do so in order to transfer into year 12. Admission authorities can, however, set academic entry criteria for their sixth forms, which must be the same for both external and internal places.
I think the last two might have an impact in Bucks?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

pippi wrote:I think the last two might have an impact in Bucks?
I haven't yet read the Admissions Code - I'm still wading my way through the Appeals Code to see what has gone missing.
1.26 Admission authorities must: inform parents of the outcome of selection tests before parents make applications for other schools – while making clear that this does not equate to a guarantee of a selective place.
This will most certainly have an impact in Bucks.
- Results are currently sent out at the end of the third week in November.
- The CAF deadline is 31st October.
- Parents would presumably need 14 days before the CAF to make their choices after the results were known.
- The results would therefore have to be published by 15th October.
- OoC candidates currently take the test at October half term, so that would have to move to weekend dates in September.
- Assuming that OoC testing has always been what slows the overall publication of results down, and Bucks and GLA require 3 - 4 weeks to process the results otherwise, testing for all pupils would need to be completed by around 15th - 20th September.
- If the autumn term happens to start late (as it does this year), or the children are at private schools that start later anyway, it is going to be an almighty rush to get testing completed in time for results to be published 14 days before the CAF deadline.
- The familiarisation process would almost certainly have to take place in the summer term, rendering it next to useless, or be conducted during the first 4 - 5 days of term, which would raise stress levels among the children tremendously.
- The tests would probably not be taken a week apart as they are at present, but would need to take place in the same week. That has implications for children who are unwell at the time of the first test.

I would imagine that BCC will protest very strongly about this becoming a must rather than a should. Then again, maybe they've known it was coming and have planned accordingly. Who knows?

One plus point (other than the obvious) is that it would help to negate the statement in the draft Appeals Code that parents must be given 30 working days to prepare their appeal evidence from the date that they were notified that their application has been unsuccessful. (Sorry, too lazy to find it and quote from it.) In Bucks that would push the first NQ appeals back to 12th January at the earliest, making the whole appeals process absolutely time critical beyond words. Any disruption of appeals due to bad weather would make the process nigh-on impossible to manage.

At least under the new admissions proposals the appeals department would be able to work at a leisurely pace from around 1st November! Most parents would probably know the outcome of their appeal by Christmas as well, which would at least mean that they might be able to eat their Christmas lunch, unlike me all those years ago. :(

In short, I think it is probably just do-able, as evidenced by the Kent system, but September would be absolutely manic for teachers, parents and children.
2.6 Applying for places at Sixth Form - Children and their parents applying for sixth form places may use the CAF although if they are already on roll they are not required to do so in order to transfer into year 12. Admission authorities can, however, set academic entry criteria for their sixth forms, which must be the same for both external and internal places.
I don't think this is that different to the current system, unless I am mistaken? The code says that the CAF may be used, not must, and as far as I am aware, the academic criteria are already the same for external and internal places? I am not aware of any schools that apply different criteria, at least.

Just some early thoughts all round though. I must catch up with my bedtime reading!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

pippi wrote:I think the last two might have an impact in Bucks?
Don't know about the last one, but I'm sure there are many who will welcome the second last one - at the moment I think it's a "should" rather than a "must". It will be interesting to see whether the tests have to be brought forward as a result.

Edited to add: Oops - just spotted Sally-Anne's post! Would there be any mileage in the possibility of delaying the CAF deadline, to allow for situations like this? Or would that just make the selection appeal process even more manic?
Marylou
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Marylou wrote:Edited to add: Oops - just spotted Sally-Anne's post! Would there be any mileage in the possibility of delaying the CAF deadline, to allow for situations like this? Or would that just make the selection appeal process even more manic?
TBH, there is no chance of the secondary school CAF deadline being delayed because 164 grammar schools find it inconvenient! There are so many "cross-border" non-GS applications that it would impact upon that it just has to be a non-starter.

Any earlier date for the 11+ results will relieve pressure in the BCC appeals system. There are very few appeals between July and January each year, so an earlier appeal process would probably be very welcome in Bucks. The only thing that would change is that panel member training takes place during the autumn term, so that might become a bit more time pressured.

Still thinking on the hoof here about both the Draft Codes, to be honest! What is still worrying me is what has gone missing from both Codes, and I know Etienne is tending to think the same way.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Just thinking about the bringing forward of the exam dates - North Yorks has done this for quite a few years now - the familiarisation is done on one weekday (for all primary schools and OOC in the Town hall / school halls etc) and then the test on 2 days over the next week.
whole thing is usually 2nd week of September - results are out mid October and the CAF goes in a week later. Admittedly there are only 3 GS's to be testing but it can be done.
Naulakha

Post by Naulakha »

Does anyone know when the new code will be applied?

My DD will take the 11+ this November and results will be known on 1 March 2012. Is there any possiblity that 11+ tests will now be brought forward to September this year (cue mild panic..), or will this only affect children taking the 11+ in 2012 (for 2013 entry)?
WP

Post by WP »

Sorry, I've fixed the link.
1.25 Tests for all forms of selection must be clear, objective, and give an accurate reflection of the child’s ability or aptitude, irrespective of gender, race, or disability. It is for the admission authority as to which test is used, providing that the test is a true test of aptitude or ability.
The old code already said "they may apply any fair and objective means of assessing ability they consider appropriate" (2.73), and the rest is implied by equal opportunity legislation.
Put this together with
2.9 Admission authorities must not refuse to admit a child solely because ... (e) they have missed entrance tests for selective places.
and it looks like a requirement for at least two sets of tests months apart, with the attendant problems of security and consistency.

For schools that admit by rank order of score (rather than a qualification system as in Bucks), knowing your score isn't terribly useful. Even if they publish historical data, the cutoffs will still vary from year to year depending on the group taking that test in that year.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Naulakha wrote:Does anyone know when the new code will be applied?
There is no information on this, but the consultation process doesn't finish until mid-August, so there is no way that the Code will be implemented in time to affect this year's admissions process, 11+ or otherwise.

You can breathe again! :D
WP

Post by WP »

Naulakha wrote:Does anyone know when the new code will be applied?
According to the consultation document, the plan is for the new Code to govern arrangements for 2013 entry.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now