RIP Rob Daley

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Blitz

RIP Rob Daley

Post by Blitz »

I felt so sad this morning when I heard the news that Tom Daley's father had lost his battle with cancer. Tom has achieved so much in his 17 years and always by his side was his proud dad.

I remember fondly when Tom won the World diving championship in Rome and his dad managed to sneak in the back of the press conference. He put his hand up to ask a question and said " I'm Tom's dad. I want to ask... can I have a cuddle?" You can imagine how embarrassed Tom was. But what a lovely memory and what an amazing dad.

RIP Rob. And go on Tom, win Gold in 2012 for your dad, he's sure to be looking down and cheering you on.
Marylou

Re: RIP Rob Daley

Post by Marylou »

Blitz wrote:I felt so sad this morning when I heard the news that Tom Daley's father had lost his battle with cancer. Tom has achieved so much in his 17 years and always by his side was his proud dad.

I remember fondly when Tom won the World diving championship in Rome and his dad managed to sneak in the back of the press conference. He put his hand up to ask a question and said " I'm Tom's dad. I want to ask... can I have a cuddle?" You can imagine how embarrassed Tom was. But what a lovely memory and what an amazing dad.

RIP Rob. And go on Tom, win Gold in 2012 for your dad, he's sure to be looking down and cheering you on.
Agree entirely - what a sad story! I'm sure the support Tom received from his dad has been a major contributing factor in his success, and will continue to inspire him in the future.
Marylou
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

How sad, I watched a documentary following Tom and his dad was very supportive but it was clear from the commentaries that the cancer was aggressive as he was starting to miss some of his's son matches. They were a very happy and down to earth family and he supported his son so greatly and had never missed any moments in his life apart from the last moments when the illness was becoming unbearable.

Rest in peace Rob
Impossible is Nothing.
poppit

Post by poppit »

I totally agree, when I saw the documentaries, I was struck by the love, support and humour within that family. Rob was a very special man. It is sometimes said that the job of a parent is to embarass their kids, Rob Day did that in wonderful style because his pride in his son and his love for him always shone through like a beacon. RIP Rob.