Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:08 pm 

Can anyone remember what o level text books they used for chemistry and physics?
I know I used MacKean for o level biology - the one with ribs on a reddish cover. For a level, physics was Muncaster and I think chemistry was Hill and Holman 'chemistry in context' but I cannot dredge up a memory for the above.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:18 pm 

I had textbooks?? Actually I do remember MacKean, but drawing a complete blank on the others :oops:

Whatever they were they were covered in either brown paper or wallpaper :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:38 pm 

scary mum wrote:

Whatever they were they were covered in either brown paper or wallpaper :lol:

Mine had a school bookplate in them where you put your name and form. I remember once getting a copy of The Mill on the Floss (obviously not a science classic) which had my mother's name in from 29 years previously. Probably still had her slightly tatty brown paper cover on too. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:20 pm 

Perhaps that's why I can't remember because I couldn't see the front - most of my books covered in anaglypta.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:59 pm 

My books were all covered in 1970s velvet and gold (Indian restaurant) style wallpaper. Girls at school with me were always really disappointed to discover that our actual walls were covered in magnolia woodchip! My mum had been given several files of wallpaper samples when a local shop closed down - more than enough to last all 5 of us all the way through school. My brother rebelled at one point and started covering his books in black bin liner instead.

Certainly we never knew the titles of our books because we never saw the covers. It was only in subjects like History, when we had a variety of different books, that we had to distinguish between one text book and another.

I particularly remember "Russia - A World History" because its author once broke into my hotel room, wearing unbelievably garish pyjamas, looking for boys. :shock: I assume he eventually found them elsewhere because he never came back.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:11 pm 

Quote:
I particularly remember "Russia - A World History" because its author once broke into my hotel room, wearing unbelievably garish pyjamas, looking for boys. I assume he eventually found them elsewhere because he never came back.

You can't just say that and run off leaving us wanting more!

I honestly can't remember my textbooks. I wonder if I've just banished them or if it really was the wallpaper.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:18 pm 

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:39 pm 

I had "Chemistry in context" but I thought that was for A level. I don't remember having any O level textbooks.

OH still has a copy of "Patterns in Physics" by Bolton (1974) but we think this is A level too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:34 pm 

Even the title "Russia - a world history' is a little strange. I think I will write the companion volume - "West Kent - a world history".

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:24 am 

I have absolutely no clue what we used. I remember hauling a Biology textbook round probably right from Y7 which we never once referred to :shock: . Other than that I'm completely blank. ooh, except RE - deffo remember the textbook for that one was called The Bible :lol: .