'o' level science text books...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rachag

'o' level science text books...

Post by rachag »

Can anyone remember what o level text books they used for chemistry and physics?
I know I used MacKean for o level biology - the one with ribs on a reddish cover. For a level, physics was Muncaster and I think chemistry was Hill and Holman 'chemistry in context' but I cannot dredge up a memory for the above.
scary mum

Re: 'o' level science text books...

Post by scary mum »

I had textbooks?? Actually I do remember MacKean, but drawing a complete blank on the others :oops:

Whatever they were they were covered in either brown paper or wallpaper :lol:
scary mum
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

scary mum wrote:
Whatever they were they were covered in either brown paper or wallpaper :lol:
Mine had a school bookplate in them where you put your name and form. I remember once getting a copy of The Mill on the Floss (obviously not a science classic) which had my mother's name in from 29 years previously. Probably still had her slightly tatty brown paper cover on too. :lol:
rachag

Post by rachag »

Perhaps that's why I can't remember because I couldn't see the front - most of my books covered in anaglypta.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

My books were all covered in 1970s velvet and gold (Indian restaurant) style wallpaper. Girls at school with me were always really disappointed to discover that our actual walls were covered in magnolia woodchip! My mum had been given several files of wallpaper samples when a local shop closed down - more than enough to last all 5 of us all the way through school. My brother rebelled at one point and started covering his books in black bin liner instead.

Certainly we never knew the titles of our books because we never saw the covers. It was only in subjects like History, when we had a variety of different books, that we had to distinguish between one text book and another.

I particularly remember "Russia - A World History" because its author once broke into my hotel room, wearing unbelievably garish pyjamas, looking for boys. :shock: I assume he eventually found them elsewhere because he never came back.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I particularly remember "Russia - A World History" because its author once broke into my hotel room, wearing unbelievably garish pyjamas, looking for boys. I assume he eventually found them elsewhere because he never came back.
You can't just say that and run off leaving us wanting more!

I honestly can't remember my textbooks. I wonder if I've just banished them or if it really was the wallpaper.
scary mum
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I had "Chemistry in context" but I thought that was for A level. I don't remember having any O level textbooks.

OH still has a copy of "Patterns in Physics" by Bolton (1974) but we think this is A level too.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Even the title "Russia - a world history' is a little strange. I think I will write the companion volume - "West Kent - a world history".
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I have absolutely no clue what we used. I remember hauling a Biology textbook round probably right from Y7 which we never once referred to :shock: . Other than that I'm completely blank. ooh, except RE - deffo remember the textbook for that one was called The Bible :lol: .
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now