My son seems really down !

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
push-pull-mum

Re: My son seems really down !

Post by push-pull-mum »

scary mum wrote:
Actually I am yearning for the days when they were all at home and we spent our days in the sand pit or at a petting farm. I feel down myself at how quickly the years go past....
You need a big glass of wine tonight and to remember that there are also advantages to them getting older (stern voice here). I do know what you mean though. I was at our local beauty spot recently and saw all the mums with their babies and toddlers having a picnic and it made me fee very sad that those days have gone so quickly. Now in the holidays my 3 all want to do different things, so we can't even do it then. Sigh.
Definitely there are advantages. Yesterday evening, while I did my teaching prep, DD baked her brother a birthday cake and decorated it all by herself! She even made me a cup of tea afterwards. I loved mine being little but there's no denying the everyday stuff is much easier now they've grown up a bit. It's just the big stuff that seems to be getting harder.
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

Oh Scarlett, you've made me tearful now. I know exactly what you mean. When I think back to the sand pit days life seemed so simple. I'm sure it wasn't but I do catch myself looking at mothers with toddlers with real envy. My DH must never find out though or he'll be insisting on separate bedrooms :lol:

My son is having a few wobbles too. He has got into an amazing school and he knows himself how lucky he is but he is the only one from his small primary school going. He has some really close, loyal friends, who he's known since pre-school, who are going to other schools and he's already talking about how much he'll miss them. (even though they all live a matter of streets away!) It's not helping that at school at the moment they are doing lots of work on memories.

If he had had the experience your son had the other day it might have finished him off! It's not helping that at school at the moment they are doing lots of work on memories from the last few years

I think it's easy to forget what a big step moving to secondary school is even with your friends by your side.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

DenDe wrote:It's not helping that at school at the moment they are doing lots of work on memories.
Have I had a rant about that already this week?
I'm sure the schools have only the best of intentions but I think, in some cases, they're creating a problem where there wasn't one in the first place. I'd much rather just see the children just kept busy and happy for the next few weeks rather than wallowing in sentiment over something as natural as growing up.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I'm just pleased I insisted that DS went to scouts in a big town to meet other boys or I think it would all be a lot harder as we live in a tiny village and he probably isn't very streetwise.He has started to stand up to bullies and my other son told me one of the worse boys at their school told everyone to not annoy DS1 as he can be scary...so hopefully he does have a bit of feistiness in him which will help !

DS keeps asking me at the moment if I can have another baby :shock: I'm wondering now if he feels his childhood is slipping away too ?
doodles

Post by doodles »

Oh the sandpit days were so easy weren't they. I am having a huge wobble as my baby is 9 next Tuesday and I just can't accept it. He is quite small and fell asleep on the sofa last night sucking his thumb ( :oops: ) and he could have been 5 or 6 again - then he woke up full of almost 9 yo attitude :(

I am sure that master scarlett will be fine, just got to "big it up in a random sort of way" - isn't that how they say it these days? :lol: or have I just been very rude (apologies if I have) :lol: Sometimes I don't think DS1 and I speak the same language these day.

Is it too early for Gin??
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DS keeps asking me at the moment if I can have another baby
Ooh, how exciting. As well as Snowdrops' virtual hen night, we could have a virtual baby shower :D
scary mum
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Wearing my rose tinted glasses I do think how lovely to have another baby ....visualising sitting in bed with a ribbon in my hair whilst I tuck into little treats DH has lovingly prepared and the children all take it in turns to rock the baby to sleep........but reality is very different, isn't it ! So, sorry to disappoint, Unscary, but no more babies from me !
mystery

Post by mystery »

No, no remember the cracked nipples and then imagine the look of horror on DS1's face when he realises what you and DH must still be doing despite your age.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Sometimes I get an urge to say to people I do have 3 children you know ! but then I might get carted off in a strait jacket
That reminds me of when DC1 was about 6 months old. I was going back to work and she was with the childminder for a couple of hours as a trial run. I went to town shopping, and while in the car park lift I had an overwhelming urge to tell the other people in the lift that I had a baby. :roll:
scary mum
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Speak for yourself, Mystery ! :P