Are your DCs schools closed on Thursday?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Fran17

Re: Are your DCs schools closed on Thursday?

Post by Fran17 »

Eldest son's school has decided to keep years 7, 8, 9 and 10 at home - my son is at a University Open Day anyway.

Middle and youngest son's school have decided to accommodate certain classes, my youngest was sent home with a letter saying he is in one of the three classes, out of six, in his year that should go into school. I did laugh as the letter said your son will be pleased that his education will not be disrupted, and could he bring one or two books to read as he may have to read for up to two hours in the hall. I have written to say I will not be sending him in. Middle son is on work experience.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Primary school open, just years 7 and 8 open at secondary (much to DD's annoyance :lol: )
Marylou
doodles

Post by doodles »

2 DC's 2 Schools and both still open thank goodness.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

DD's school is open for all pupils.

The head wrote to us about 2 weeks ago and said although some teachers are on strike the school will remain open and the children should ensure they have books with them - I think they'll be making use of the hall that day!

Even though I wouldn't suffer any disruption if my dd were to be off school on Thursday, so it makes no difference to me in that way (apart from her education), I think it's great the way the remaining teachers are pulling together to ensure the school stays open.

Thumbs up to Ripon Grammar, a gold star if ever there was one!
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Shudders at the attitude of some parents that scabbing is actually just displaying the proper Dunkirk spirit. :shock:
Possibly when the children have grown up and can't get jobs because all the pensioners have to work until they drop then their missed school trip or whatever really won't seem to matter so much.
lara228

Post by lara228 »

Thankfully, school IS closed!! DS having birthday party sleepover at schoolfriend tonight and doesn't have to be collected until lunchtime tomorrow. Then off to visit potential independent school's open afternoon so no school time missed.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

*shudders* at the thought some people really think going on strike will further their cause with the majority of the British public.

I will not make any further comments on this thread, I'm quite honestly appalled that such obvious attacks on others can be made, especially when I was only trying to thank teachers - obviously I can only do that if it suits certain people. I dunno, we get in trouble if we slam the teachers, and now in trouble if we thank them. You just can't win sometimes.

Shame on you!
Gypsypony

Post by Gypsypony »

DS's primary open. DD's secondary closed, but I expect she'll come home with lots of homework?
She's got yet another physio appointment tomorrow am, so at least she's not missing school because of that. :) Also, saves me a round trip of 40 miles worth of diesel! :D, but she will have to come to work with me,..... ho hum..... swings and roundabouts!
Manana

Post by Manana »

push-pull-mum wrote:Shudders at the attitude of some parents that scabbing is actually just displaying the proper Dunkirk spirit. :shock:
Possibly when the children have grown up and can't get jobs because all the pensioners have to work until they drop then their missed school trip or whatever really won't seem to matter so much.
Absolutely!
solimum

Post by solimum »

DD's school is shut, but she is on a year 12 trip to a university fair so will not be disrupted - although the parents' consultation evening that has been in DH's diary for months will no doubt be rearranged to a time he's not available - grrrrrrr! Year 7 are away on French/ German trips anyway so the school must seem fairly empty to start with! (no yrs 11 or 13 either..)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now