extreme parental sacrifice

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tree

extreme parental sacrifice

Post by Tree »

This whole website is a testament to the sacrifice we parents make for our children but i wanted to share with everyone an example of the extremes to which i am prepared to go for my ds's educational development.

My DS is 12 yrs old and has expressed a wish to became an engineer indeed his plan is to become a brilliant engine designer to work for 5 yrs with bmw then return to britain and single handedly restore the british sports car motor industry.

In view of this i have offered to help him, with one eye on his personal statement for uni in 5 yrs time we have decided that undertaking an engineering project in the field of his dreams, an essential part of his educational development. So I have been forced to consider the idea of making one of these at home:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=mev+ro ... 29,r:9,s:0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Infact my ds and I have visited the factory and are already in deep negotiation over which turbo charged system to use.

Even worse than this we feel that we may be forced to buy some extra tools for the garage :

One of these is essential:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/proxxon-prox ... prod30262/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And probably one of these:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... rc-welders" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know you will all be amazed at my personal dedication but i do feel that when your child wishes to persue a certain career it is important that you help them fulfill their dreams, obviously my wife is going to have to work a bit harder so we can afford this but I'm sure she will be fully on board when i explain how this is going to help my DS so much.
Last edited by Tree on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Re: extreme parental sacrifice

Post by hermanmunster »

Tree, i really admire the sacrifice..... are you sure you won't have to try out all these things to make sure they work OK :wink: ?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

what a truly selfless act.....

:lol: :lol:
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Shame you're so far away from us. My DH invested in such equipment far before DD was born, just to be ready for such an eventuality...
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Wow! you've finally found the 'educational' activity by ex might be willing to get involved with. Which kit comes with the blonde in the bikini?
Tree

Post by Tree »

Tree, i really admire the sacrifice..... are you sure you won't have to try out all these things to make sure they work OK ?
Well obviously there are H+S issues with 12 yr olds using this kind of equipment however i have (once again at great expense) paid for the window cleaner to clean the garage window and will install a wooden stool outside this window so my DS can watch me put this all together otherwise he clearly won't be getting the full educational experience.

To be honest (sad as this may sound) i hadn't noticed the blond maybe she could help me ?
tokyonambu

Post by tokyonambu »

You should encourage your son to work with modern materials, rather than old-fashioned metal bashing. 3D printers? http://www.fabathome.org/?q=node/10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Home autoclaves for composite work? The opportunities for spending money on cool gadgets improving your son's education are limitless, surely?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Tree wrote: To be honest (sad as this may sound) i hadn't noticed the blond maybe she could help me ?

That's no way to speak of your wife, Tree when she's putting in the hours at work and at home to help you, whoops sorry...your son out.
Tree

Post by Tree »

You should encourage your son to work with modern materials, rather than old-fashioned metal bashing. 3D printers? http://www.fabathome.org/?q=node/10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Home autoclaves for composite work? The opportunities for spending money on cool gadgets improving your son's education are limitless, surely?
I like this please suggest a shopping list and will pass it on to the finance department, she is busy at work at the moment though :roll:
Tree

Post by Tree »

at least i hope she's busy, if she has time to browse this forum before i have a chance to delete this thread i might be in trouble
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now