Recommendations for music schools

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Thingsbehindthesun

Re: Recommendations for music schools

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

lara228 wrote:
push-pull-mum wrote:Have you tried asking the school if they would consider getting a teacher in? Either a County Music Services one or a private teacher who just uses the school as a base. We have one of each at the DCren's school.

Both teachers were employed in response to parental demand. One mum asked - the school sent home notes - and now there are piano, recorder, clarinet, violin and guitar lessons all available for £6 a lesson!

Amazing value! Here in North London the Local Borough-organised music lessons are £9 a lesson for 15 minutes (not worth getting the instrument out!) and nearly £20 for half an hour - but still much cheaper than going private.
I've been quoted 15 pounds for 30 mins individual.But I always thought the going rate was around £30 per hour.But I guess it would also depend on other things, like level of qualifications and area, with prices for tutors in the c. London tending to be higher.Anyway first lesson is tomorrow and I'm also excited :lol: !
;D
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Avoid group lessons! Your daughter will take 3 years to learn the stuff an individual lesson would teach in a year and the group teacher is less likely to notice any faults or bad habits.
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

That's what I was thinking after our trial lesson.It was easier to notice and fix apparent mistakes then it would have been in a group of even five.
;D