Recommendations for music schools

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Thingsbehindthesun

Recommendations for music schools

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

Following a weekend stay from my neice, (who brought along her violin,as you do!) my daughter is now also keen to learn :lol:

I have already contacted two music schools a week ago,one in Shepherds bush and another in Crouch end but both have still have not got back to me :x

Can anyone else recommend a school? Ideally we would want to try for a groups lessons first. I have heard of music exams as well but I don't want to jump the gun, but how fast do children usually progress?Is it a grade a year?
;D
scarlett

Re: Recommendations for music schools

Post by scarlett »

I live in Kent, so it might be different, but my children learn the violin and guitar through a music school who gives them lessons at their primary school , at a reduced rate as well, I think.It's quite popular.Would your childrens school know anything about that ? Also my sons guitar teacher says he also comes in to teach at the local grammars.
Thingsbehindthesun

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately there are no music lessons offered at the primary school although they do choir from time to time. So we would have to do it independently.
;D
dyslexichelpneeded

Post by dyslexichelpneeded »

Is there not a local music centre? Google your various local towns + music centre - these are council run, and do various group tuitions, orchestras and bands for children.
Thingsbehindthesun

The council option offers mainly tution within schools and most of the extra classes are for students who are already learning.

But on the plus side a school I contacted yesterday at 5.00 got back in touch with me within 3 hours, so I'll see where things go from there!
;D
mim

Post by mim »

When group lessons for music (as opposed to group music making) are mentioned, I often wonder how a child is supposed to learn very much, even if they have a good time mucking about. This article sums it up so well:
http://www.simonfischeruk.com/English%2 ... laying.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My inclination is for individual lessons.

If she is very young, being able physically to hold it will limit the duration of the lesson to say 30 minutes. Progress depends on so many things; quality of teacher, how much musical experience she has, amount of practice, let alone affinity for the violin. If she already plays another instrument and is familiar with the theory, then she only has to get used to getting the right sound from the violin. I have seen infant school children take between 3 months and 3 years to get to Grade 2 from the day they first held a fiddle in their hands. Then it can be a between one and three grades a year...

I hope she enjoys herself exploring it.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Have you tried asking the school if they would consider getting a teacher in? Either a County Music Services one or a private teacher who just uses the school as a base. We have one of each at the DCren's school.

Both teachers were employed in response to parental demand. One mum asked - the school sent home notes - and now there are piano, recorder, clarinet, violin and guitar lessons all available for £6 a lesson!
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

A grade a year seems to be the norm in our circle of friends. However, the standard varies. I mean, some parents put their kids in every year and they are happy to get a Pass each time.

Every child is different but assuming that your child is musical then you are talking about 30min practice a day over a year if you are looking for a Merit or Distinction.
lara228

Post by lara228 »

push-pull-mum wrote:Have you tried asking the school if they would consider getting a teacher in? Either a County Music Services one or a private teacher who just uses the school as a base. We have one of each at the DCren's school.

Both teachers were employed in response to parental demand. One mum asked - the school sent home notes - and now there are piano, recorder, clarinet, violin and guitar lessons all available for £6 a lesson!

Amazing value! Here in North London the Local Borough-organised music lessons are £9 a lesson for 15 minutes (not worth getting the instrument out!) and nearly £20 for half an hour - but still much cheaper than going private.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Can anyone recommend orchestra's in Essex (north preferably) for a late beginner violinist. Grade 3 piano but only done a little violin. His school music teacher is keen for him to join something to gain experience "group" playing - hard on piano!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now