Attainment and acheivement - what's the difference?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
push-pull-mum

Attainment and acheivement - what's the difference?

Post by push-pull-mum »

Reading DS's end of Year 2 report.
Apparently his 'Attainment' level is satisfactory for writing and reading and better than expected for Maths but his 'Acheivement' level is better than expected across the board.

Is there really a difference between what you acheive and what you attain - and, if so, what is it?

Don't particularly want to go and ask the teacher. 3B at just turned 7 is pretty good in anyone's book so I'm not worried - just curious.
pheasantchick

Re: Attainment and acheivement - what's the difference?

Post by pheasantchick »

Before reading your post, I would class attainment as actual scores achieved, and achievement as how far you have improved. However, not sure how it actually relates to school reports.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

pheasantchick wrote:Before reading your post, I would class attainment as actual scores achieved, and achievement as how far you have improved. However, not sure how it actually relates to school reports.
Good theory (thanks :) ) but the way the report reads would seem to suggest the opposite. His acheivement level is the same across the board and only the attainment varies (which doesn't make sense because the levels are all the same.)

Also, for some reason, attainment is assessed over 2 years and acheivement over only 1.

Suspect they make it up as they go along. :lol:

Also - according to the report - he apparently made no progress at all in reading throughout Year 1 - which certainly wasn't mentioned at the time. :?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Sounds pretty complicated..but he's done well and as long as he's happy and works hard then you can give him ( and yourself ) a big pat on the back. :)
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

If it's referring to SATS, presumably attainment is teacher assessment (I'm guessing this because it was mentioned that it was taken over a 2 year (ie ks1) period) and perhaps achievement is what he actually achieved in the not-so-formal SATS papers that he took at the end of year 2?

Gawd knows. Always impressed with how opaque school reports can be :roll: .

3b sounds excellent :D . Our school just tells you it's a '3' at end of year 2.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
succeed

Post by succeed »

From what I understand, attainment is the level the child actually receives based on formal assessments, such as SATs etc. Achievement is measured by comparing their starting points and predicted grades with what the actual attainment grade is. So, if a child attains a level that was above the forecast grade, then achievement will be high.
However, in this case, a level 3b (attainment) at the end of yr 2 is surely above average or 'satisfactory' ? ? Would be interested to hear the teacher's explanation :lol: Although, at this time of year, it might be as well to just send in a little box of chocolates and just bask in the fact he is doing so well.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

succeed wrote:Although, at this time of year, it might be as well to just send in a little box of chocolates and just bask in the fact he is doing so well.
I think that sounds like an excellent idea. :D We have an open evening before the end of term but it's not a formal parent's evening and trying to grab the teacher to query her terminology when I'm perfectly happy with the actual result is probably not the best use of anyone's time.

By next year they'll probably have different words for it all anyway.
fatbananas wrote:Our school just tells you it's a '3' at end of year 2.
That's how it was was when DD was in Year 2 - don't know why it has changed. I think they're probably unwise. Concerned (pushy) parents like myself will possibly be on their backs next year asking why our little darlings aren't level 4s (working on the 2 sub level theory). :oops:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Common terminology used by OFSTED inspectors

Achievement: the progress and success of a pupil in their learning, development or training.

Attainment: the standard of the pupils' work shown by test and examination results and in lessons.
mystery

Post by mystery »

So what does that really mean?
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Guest55 wrote:Common terminology used by OFSTED inspectors

Achievement: the progress and success of a pupil in their learning, development or training.

Attainment: the standard of the pupils' work shown by test and examination results and in lessons.
O.K. :? So achievement means the child has made progress but no one can prove it by looking at work done in school? Sounds bizarre to me.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now