Big fish, small pondin schools or vice versa?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Loopyloulou

Re: Big fish, small pondin schools or vice versa?

Post by Loopyloulou »

deleted
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Croydon is the one thing holding us back from sending him to Trinity!
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I thought you had just moved to Gloucestershire :o - why would you want to go back to London ?
mystery

Post by mystery »

It's a shame it's Croydon stopping you. I'd still like to live there, but think I would have to get divorced first. You could live somewhere else and have a fast train in to Croydon? It did sound school-wise fantastic for your son. Still, on the other hand, I presume music in Gloucestershire is good - particularly chorister-wise.

Also, you have to give wherever you live a good chance in order to settle in - takes some adults several years for adults, and sometimes also that long for children. It is has taken one of mine three years to sort of "be herself" at school and develop strong attachments to children who return the favour, and understand how to rub along in a fun way with the other. There were lots of times during that period when I almost moved her as I thought there was nothing to keep her there, if you see what I mean, but every time I stopped myself and reminded myself that I might just be making her go back to the beginning of what was a long process for her, and that although it seemed to me that nothing worthwhile had yet come of it, she was part way down a path that she had worked hard at socially etc.

That was a bit of a rambling splurge; hope it makes some kind of sense to you. What I'm saying is that all the musings about changing schools is no bad thing, and that you possibly have identified a school (Trinity) that would have served you better had you lived on the doorstep from age 3 or 5 or whatever, but for whatever reason it is not reachable for you now and staying put could reap benefits you cannot see at the moment. Maybe there are other ways of getting the closer proximity to Dad you feel your son needs.

Also, I know a few people who are professional musicians who did not start until they were 11, did not go to schools that were that "hot" on music, and did not have it in the family. Music tends to win through one way or another. Again what I'm saying is that if you do not ultimately find a school that hits the music buttons perfectly, it may not matter long term to your son's proficiency either as a skilled amateur or virtuoso professional.
Waiting_For_Godot

I mentioned on a previous thread that being separated from my husband, and the boys missing their father, during the week is proving too difficult which is why we want to move to a commutable distance for his work. Boarding has not worked out as we had expected or we would have iked to have kept him at his current school until Y8. :(

Sorry, didn't see your post Mystery. I agree with everything you have said and feel terrible about the move but it has to be done.
Looking for help

I think you're quite right to move then :D , sorry don't often pop into the indie section any more.

Sounds like Trinity is a good school, and would suit your son well. I don't know about Croydon myself, go have a look around, get a feel for the place and surrounding areas before you move.

I think on balance the whole family being together and happy will be better in the end,even with a bit of disruption re moving schools....although be warned, it does depend on the child. We moved house about 6 streets when we were children, and my sister never spoke to my parents for the next 5 years :lol: However, my sister is very definitely one of oilyoxymoron's undiagnosed fruitcakes :lol:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh sorry WFG was not intending to make you feel bad about moving if you are still intending to. I think that whatever you do as a parent you can't get it right, but also you can't get it wrong as you don't know what the final effect is on the completed adult of whatever you did or didn't do - if you get my drift. It will all work out in some way and you can only do what you guess might be best at the time based on incomplete evidence and imperfect solutions!
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting_For_Godot

The problem is that I don't know what he will be like in three years time and all the pre-tests are now. I totally misjudged how DS1 would turn out and took a gamble on the senior school, which has paid off as he has become confident (gobby) and will fit in there very well!
Looking for help

But nobody can guess how their child will be in 3 years time....you have to trust your instincts and make a decision, really, and hope for the best.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now