Big fish, small pondin schools or vice versa?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
la boume

Re: Big fish, small pondin schools or vice versa?

Post by la boume »

Agree completely with Looking For Help. No one can judge now...All schools have fair share of positive/negative sides, there is no "perfect school", in fact "perfect" is the enemy of "good" IMO. The more parents become obssesed with with the schools, the less beneficial it may be for the children.
If I understand right, one child is likely to start the school in Croydon, the other is staying in Glos, and the whole family is going to live together somewhere in between?
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

la boume wrote:Agree completely with Looking For Help. No one can judge now...All schools have fair share of positive/negative sides, there is no "perfect school", in fact "perfect" is the enemy of "good" IMO. The more parents become obssesed with with the schools, the less beneficial it may be for the children.
If I understand right, one child is likely to start the school in Croydon, the other is staying in Glos, and the whole family is going to live together somewhere in between?
Eldest goes to senior boarding school next year and currently boards. We would like to send youngest to Trinity (day school) but are unsure of the location and we currently live in Gloucester.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Best thing is probably to go for what suits you best as the adult, and forms the best compromise for the child. So if you would hate living in Croydon, or within appropriate distance of Croydon, don't go. And try and make up for whatever deficits the current school has by other means. Think I need a dose of Eliot's quartets too.
moved

Post by moved »

I'm not convinced there is the perfect school. Some children are less comfortable than others.
I have to say the longer my children are educated the more I agree with John Stuart Mill.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Agree with him on what exactly?!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

And what are Eliots Quarters?
moved

Post by moved »

I cannot remember the quote exactly but something along the lines of an education needs to be very good to justify depriving a child of its liberty.

This has always stuck in my mind. I enjoyed reading his work when I was a teenager! Sulky and 14 I believe I felt that my liberty to learn what interested me was more important than the education that I was given (probably the reason I ended up teaching :oops: ). I remember quoting him and arguing that school was a form of incarceration. I then went through a long period of reasonableness and now occasionally remember his views.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

That quote has long been a favourite chez Magwich!
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

I agree that there is no perfect school. In an ideal world our DC's would have one on one tutoring in all subjects as well as class discussions! Knowing he is bright, we looked for the school that offered him the best opportunities. And to echo an earlier post, we knew for certain which schools were wrong for DS.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now