Ban on Skirts for girls is gathering momentum.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scary mum

Re: Ban on Skirts for girls is gathering momentum.

Post by scary mum »

................with a big split up the back ( larger girls had an extended spilt, if you know what I mean.)
I had a friend whose split went a bit too far when she ran for a bus. 30 years later she is still known to her close friends as "No-knickers Scary's friend" :lol:
scary mum
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

...............and I remember feeling rather s e x y if my bra strap was showing..those were the days
Now it's compulsory and must be coloured or decorated in some way. Feeling old now :roll:
scary mum
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Yes, best not to practice the splits when wearing one of those skirts. Actually, I'm now having a flashback that I was unable to wind my skirt up over it's waist band because my split had split....we had dignity in those days. :lol:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

[quote="scary mum]
Now it's compulsory and must be coloured or decorated in some way. Feeling old now :roll:[/quote]

Well, I can never show a bra strap or DS1 makes such a big thing to me about it...and if my top is a bit low and you can see the top of my bra, well...it's as if I had nothing on at all.I just love embarrassing my boys. :lol:
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

pheasantchick wrote:In my day it was pencil skirts - they were tight rather than short!
Yes the same in my day too with a split as well.

No rolling up of skirts at all.

As others have said I can't understand why the girls are allowed to get away with it.
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

At our local independent girls school they are very strict on uniform and it is made clear that if a child is not dressed appropriately there are consequences- they're either given detentions or asked to go home and change.
;D
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I think if the school said nothing, there would be no problem. Mine have always worn their skirts too short, and rolled up at the waist and in fact often looked ridiculous....and then we have been to school, for various things and discovered they look no different or worse than any one else. I would be very unhappy if skirts were banned, it's not that long ago since trousers for girls were fought for as a human right, so surely no-one can ban skirts for that very reason. If it's that much of a problem, ban the uniform altogether and they'll wear leggings and long tops and everyone will be happy
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

My elder sisters were the extended split pencil skirt generation - I was a skirt roller. DD has been furnished with two knee length pleated things and I wait to see what she will do with them.

I very much hope DD's school don't ban skirts (new head teacher this term so anything's possible - old Head was notoriously and deliberately relaxed about uniform). DD is skinny with a long body and its very difficult to find trousers to fit.

I do know some Christians who don't believe girls and women should wear trousers. What would the schools do about them?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I do know some Christians who don't believe girls and women should wear trousers.
Gosh, that's a whole different question. I am very much of the thought each to his own, but...
scary mum
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

I kept my skirt a good long length but made up for it by wearing fishnet tights he he he