Ban on Skirts for girls is gathering momentum.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

aargh

Re: Ban on Skirts for girls is gathering momentum.

Post by aargh »

My own school uniform was bottle green which I loved but loads of people called ridiculous. I am sorry to have offended you Ed's mum.
Long skirts can look elegant, I am saying that the cut of these does not seem stylish and the girls in part of the video did look awkward when walking. They ought to re-design. There have been plenty of elegant walkable-in long skirts over the centuries. This is based on the video on the Rugby website though, so maybe that does not do them justice. You must have the advantage of seeing them in reality Ed's mum.
I still maintain that long skirts hamper movement. I also maintain that those daft pelmets that do not deserve the name of skirt hamper movement.
Ed's mum wrote:I must add that the girls love their skirts and feel proud to wear them.
Do you mean your own DDs? Some girls will like them and some girls won't. Same with any uniform. My own feeling is they do not seem very practical. I am very proud of my Ross tartan kilt, but I don't wear it unless I'm doing highland dancing. 9 Yards of heavy wool which swings dramatically as you move...
Amber wrote:My DD has no choice and has to wear a skirt of a particular design, though she has protested to the management, but to no avail.
I refer you back to my post about s e x discrimination act on the First kiss thread. A court would uphold your DDs right to wear trousers, so she should threaten further action which they would be sensible enough to not waste money on and therefore would submit. Though if she prefers a skirt the school are allowed to specify style.

Advice to lawyers on the s e x discrimination act says a court is likely to rule in favour of a girl being allowed to wear trousers, whatever the school wants:

"This is because trousers are conventional dress for women, so there is a strong argument that it would be unlawful gender discrimination to deny a girl the opportunity to wear smart trousers as an alternative to skirts as part of a uniform code. So far, courts have not had to make a judgment on whether different school uniform regulations for boys and girls would be discriminatory under the gender Discrimination Act. But it would be good practice for schools to review school uniform requirements regularly to ensure that they reflect current conventions on dress."

Likewise, a skirt is "conventional dress for a woman" so school cannot ban skirts either. And since the implication is that they should not have seperate uniforms for boys and girls, boys can also wear skirts - like yon chap in Cambridgeshire with his protest by coming in in a skirt when he was forbidden shorts.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

No offence intended, Ed's Mum. I didn't see my comment as being any different from saying that pelmet skirts look terrible. I suppose the difference is that a particular school was named. I only found out about the long skirts on this thread and don't personally know of any other school with similar skirts, hence the reference to Rugby.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Thanks aaargh and First-timer.
No, not just my daughter. I know lots of girls love the skirt because it makes them different to other schools and they can wear really warm clothes underneath/ pyjamas!

Anyway. Enough about one school. Will bow out now.
aargh

Post by aargh »

Pyjamas, now there's a cosy free moving outfit...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now