Food flasks

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rachag

Food flasks

Post by rachag »

Does anyone use these regularly? How long does food stay hot? Which foods work and which don't? Are there issues with keeping rice hot or reheating it? Greateful for any ideas. Thanks
hermanmunster

Re: Food flasks

Post by hermanmunster »

You can keep rice hot for reuse (really hot that is) or cool it quickly and then reheat it. Don't let it linger at a nice warm temperature....... bacillus cereus will multiply rapidly. Remember going to a commercial cook chill kitchen and the microbiologist with me was nearly apoplectic seeing the rice there, it was just not being cooled quickly enough..

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/riceind.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Y

Post by Y »

I've tried these and they are very unsatisfactory. They will only work well for very wet food - ie, no gaps between the bits of food - which really means soup. They won't keep food hot from leaving home till school lunch time. And the wider the neck, the less effective the flask. If anyone has found one that really does work, I'd like to know too!
rachag

Post by rachag »

Thanks Y and HM. Had reached the conclusion that they must not be that good simply due to lack of replies! If they had been good, then their proponents would have posted by now with recipes etc - note slow cooker thread.
Chunky soup will be a nice change though sometimes. Current favourite here is bacon and butterbean which is also v good at using up sad vegetables from the fridge.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

I actually did a test on some food flasks last year and found that they worked really well if you filled them up completely (as Y suggests). Any air gaps made them almost useless.

Someone suggested we put a baked potato in one. My DD informs me that cold potato does not make an appetising lunch...
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

If you are asking about food flasks because you are fed up with boring sandwiches , I give mine cold hot food..if you know what I mean. Bacon sandwiches, cheese toasties, quiche, pizza and crumbles / pies with custard. They say it's just as nice .I sound strange, don't I. :shock:
andyb

Post by andyb »

scarlett wrote:If you are asking about food flasks because you are fed up with boring sandwiches , I give mine cold hot food..if you know what I mean. Bacon sandwiches, cheese toasties, quiche, pizza and crumbles / pies with custard. They say it's just as nice .I sound strange, don't I. :shock:
We deliberately have to save pizza for the following days lunch and both boys love cold custard with chopped banana.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Banana custard! It was the only way anyone could get me to eat (a) bananas or (b) custard as a child. I used to love it. Having tried it recently I can truly say it's utterly disgusting.

I got a couple of wide-mouthed half litre flasks from the orange supermarket so Mrs and Miss 1880 could have more variety (don't ask me why lunches are somehow my responsibility because I really don't know how that's happened). They're almost completely useless, they're far too big to fill to the top with soup or whatever for one person, so stuff doesn't keep hot, and they're still not really wide enough to easily/safely extract anything with lumps in like minestrone.

Mike
rachag

Post by rachag »

Oh dear.
Yes M1880, I see what you mean - 470ml of chunky soup is rather a lot!
The cold hot food does sound promising though Scarlett.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

hermanmunster wrote:You can keep rice hot for reuse (really hot that is) or cool it quickly and then reheat it. Don't let it linger at a nice warm temperature....... bacillus cereus will multiply rapidly.
Herman...should I tell DH heating up his chinese takeaway rice for breakfast ( after leaving it out in the kitchen for hours ) could lead to his sad demise ?!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now