Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:26 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:57 pm
Posts: 1446
Sorry have cabin fever and as well as being stuck indoors I am awaiting some news.

Due to many, many issues we have decided that being closer to London is a must. DS2 has been assessed by three schools. The third choice offered a place within 24 hours, second choice has still to get back after assessment on Friday and the first choice, off the record, were sure he had a place but needed to see the school report before confirming - I know they have received it.

The third choice is now pushing for an answer and I won't contact the first choice yet but I'm wondering when I should contact the second choice. If I get on the phone and say a school is pushing for a decision but we prefer your school and they give a place and then the first school offer I will feel really bad. But I don't want to turn down the third because the other two are not definites. Each school is totally different - one huge, one a specialist music school and one very academic with no facilities so it's not as if the third one is similar and we could accept it.

So when do I start approaching the schools? I did send an email to the first school yesterday to explain that I was not at my home address so would need to be contacted by email. I also explained that if the other schools started pushing for an answer I would get back to them but I have had no response and I don't want to push them. I would also add that admission is different as he is coming in out with normal admissions and the schools were interested on the basis of his music so there are no other candidates applying, hence I assume a decision should not take too long. :wink:

Apologies for any spelling correctors as I am on the iPad and I can't see what I wrote at the start. Anything look odd or rude then it wasn't me! :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:22 am
Posts: 3664
Did the other two schools give you any idea when you should receive confirmation of places ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:57 pm
Posts: 1446
The second school didn't but because there are no other applicants I can't imagine it would take long to decide either way. The first school just said that they needed the report to guarantee a place.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:45 pm
Posts: 4598
WFG, I am reading this on a phone screen, so forgive me if I have missed anything. I think it would be perfectly reasonable to contact your favourite school and explain the situation. Even if the admissions person finds it a bit annoying, that is what they are there for and it won't stop them offering a place if they were going to - assuming the report has been seen by the right person. I'm sure they would understand the position you are in. Is the place for immediate start, or next term? If it is immediate that would also give you a reason for phoning.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:57 pm
Posts: 1446
It's for next term but we are relocating so as much time as possible is needed. However it is more about the other school pressing for an answer. :?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:56 pm
Posts: 8228
Can you buy yourself a bit more time with school 3 without letting them know they are bottom of your list? Say it's a really important decision and you need time to discuss it all fully with DH etc etc and find out when their final final deadline is (it might just be flannel from their end and there's no rush of course). I guess you would lose a term's fees if you said yes and then changed your mind quite soon?

I don't see why you shouldn't phone the other schools and ask them when they think they will have made their decisions?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:20 pm
Posts: 4660
I think Mystery's suggestion is good.

I would add that your husband is away and won't be back until the weekend and you will 'phone them on Monday with your decision.

Meanwhile, give the other schools until Friday morning to respond to you, if you've not heard by then ring them and ask point blank for their decision.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:57 pm
Posts: 1446
Taken advice and one held off until Monday but I will call second and first, in that order, tomorrow. Wish him luck! :?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:20 pm
Posts: 4660
All the luck in the world from me Tipsy, I really, really hope you get your first choice!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:45 pm
Posts: 4598
And from me - let us know when you can share some news :D


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016