Peer Pressure Woes.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ourmaminhavana

Re: Peer Pressure Woes.

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Much to my relief my DS has been oblivious to designer clothing, but then discovered KSwiss trainers. I said I'll give him what I'd spend on a pair of trainers for him and if he wants to 'upgrade' then he can add some of his own money which he squirrels away! :lol:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I guess you could buy clothes or give money for birthdays/christmas ?
mystery

Post by mystery »

I agree absolutely with your sentiments about video / computer games xzxxxy, and yes you can ban them altogether from the house ......... I have nothing of that nature yet, but my own children are only 7 and 5. But to have decided that they are all completely rubbish, all of them, you have to have tried them or read about them, or looked at one in the distance.

And I'm not sure if not ever using one in childhood guarantees that one will continue that way as an adult. Look at the generation who did not have them as children, but many of whom game away hours of their adult life (or EPE it!!).

Perhaps the "in moderation" approach is a good one as it teaches some self-discipline, whereas a complete ban only works while the parent is around and in authority.
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

mystery wrote:I agree absolutely with your sentiments about video / computer games xzxxxy, and yes you can ban them altogether from the house ......... I have nothing of that nature yet, but my own children are only 7 and 5. But to have decided that they are all completely rubbish, all of them, you have to have tried them or read about them, or looked at one in the distance.
Hard to avoid seeing, hearing and knowing about them when you've spent your life in computing, of course.

My primary objection isn't for the good of my children: I wouldn't have them in the house were I not a parent (and didn't when I wasn't). It's that computer games are ugly and crude, and I don't see why I should have ugly and crude things in the house.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Sounds like my dog.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sounds like me. My husband must have got me as an alternative to video games.

I do agree with you; a lot of cartoons are ugly too. Aren't there any beautiful computer games out there? It could be a niche market for the aesthetes like us.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I bought DD a wii game which is looking after a baby...that's kind of attractive. It was supposed to stop her asking me constantly for a sister.
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

All things in moderation xyzzy. I too get frustrated at the constant "Can I go on Wii now?". But DS's love of games led him to teach himself C++ at the age of 8 so that he could design his own games. And time on the Wii/Computer/ds will be matched by hours spent on violin practice and homework - at least that's the plan! :)
Gottal

Post by Gottal »

DS is 11 and doesn't get any pocket money. When the issue came up I suggested he makes me tea once a day and I'll pay 10p/day. He did it for 2 days and asked for a pay rise. I told him that he couldn't ask for a pay rise whilst on probation and he quitted without notice.
mystery

Post by mystery »

LOL! I hope those two cups of tea were good ones!! Presumably he doesn't feel a burning need for anything over and above what you normally provide.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now