Proud and pushy mums:do we qualify?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
vasu

Re: Proud and pushy mums:do we qualify?

Post by vasu »

scarlett wrote:Does anyone else feel slightly embarrassed when buying 11 plus/ key stage workbooks ? I always seem to get the same checkout woman who must think I'm a complete slave driver...she's even started flicking through them with one eyebrow raised. I spend so much time in the educational section that I must look like a pro and during my last 2 visits I've had to explain to random people which books to buy and how to use them.I might take my own fold up table and chair next time and start charging.
I thought I was the only one. I am slowly gaining a reputation :roll: :cry: of "11+ Exam fanatic", in my sons' primary. I hope ds passes or I would be the biggest laughing stock too :cry:
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
la boume

Post by la boume »

Not me! I really feel proud while buying heaps of 11 plus books. Staff at the local Waterstones is very helpful indeed.
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

I bought all my books online
and i bought a truck load of them :lol:

You're all right that at 10/11 our kids are a bit immature in making all the right decisions. My older dd begged and begged last year to go to a very good local dance, drama and music school. After much delibration and reviewing the costs, I let her start at the beginning of this year.

This term, we got details that she needs to start working towards her first LAMDA exams. My dd promptly told me she wants to drop LAMDA and modern because she is not doing well in both classes and she does not enjoy it.

DH said "well you are always pushing these kids to do everything. :x
you should let her stop if she does not want to continue.

I insisted she continues as she always seems to start and stop things half way through. She has been back a few weeks now and she came home last weekend saying what a wonderful mum I am and how happy she is as she is enjoying the classes and she believes she will do well in her exams. She said thank you for encouraging me to stick with it mum I am really happy now. :shock:

Kids will be kids and until they reach a certain level of maturity, they need to be guided as they easily give up.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I have had problems with my children having a wobbly and wanting to give up various activities. DS 2 announcing he hated rugby because he always gets pushed to the ground and DD hating ballet because her legs hurt afterwards. I encouraged both of them to just go the following week and see how it went and by then they had forgotten all about it and were full of the joys of spring. I always feel if I don't encourage then mine will spend the rest of their lives slumped in front of the box.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I bought some 11+ books when I was pregnant with my first child. I am not joking.
mad?

Post by mad? »

mystery wrote:I bought some 11+ books when I was pregnant with my first child. I am not joking.
Speechless :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
mad?
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Mystery sometimes I wish there was a like button on here. I would have liked your comment. :lol: :lol:

I have come across a couple of mums over the years who have mentioned tutors but then once they knew their DC had a place at grammar told everyone their DC had done very little preparation. Why? No one thinks any more of them for it. I don't think people care. How ungracious of them to say such things, usually in the earshot of people who were honest about their children having tutoring but unfortunately didn't get in, probably just unlucky on the day. A friend of mine tutored her son herself. I quite envied her. I honestly didn't think I could do a good enough job myself otherwise I would have gone that route. I know it's all been said before but I will say it again. Each to their own, do what you think is right for your child. As long as they aren't living, eating and breathing 11+ go for it.

My youngest wants to give up playing the trumpet but I keep coaxing him into doing it for just a bit longer, in the desperate hope he will start to enjoy it. He is very musical and is quite good at it. I've decided to be a bit pushy and proud. Better than being an uninterested parent. :)
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I expect Mystery bought those 11 plus books whilst pregnant because she was tutoring her step son/daughter at the time.

I have to say I did press a musical carousel to my tummy every hour whilst pregnant as I read somewhere the baby would recognise the music once born and drift off to sleep when it was played. It didn't work. Perhaps that's also why DD isn't keen to learn a musical instrument.

Hats off to you Fran for putting up with trumpet practice.
la boume

Post by la boume »

from John O'Farrell "May Contain Nuts"

" I had been planning to play her all fifteen symphonies in order and then move on to the concertos but she was a month premature". :lol:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh Scarlett you have spoiled my line. :cry: But at the back of my mind I was thinking this might come in useful later on if they haven't scrapped the 11+ ....... so do I still qualify?

Will have to read "May contain nuts" again ........ was pregnant at the time so did not fully appreciate how true to life the book is.

Does anyone have a copy in their handbag?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now