Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:57 am 

OK its just a little thing ...but can anyone advise on the following:

We have 8 wireless networks that aren't ours "on offer" to my pc. Most of them have sensible names like homehub23 or BTopenzone xx. One of them has a more interesting name suggeting that its useage may be mostly adult in nature....I know its probably just a joke and all that , but its starting to annoy me that I have to look at it everytime me or my kids log on. (stressed and snapping at small things...me...no)

Anyway if I knew who it was I could decide whether to go round and ask if they would mind changing it..any ideas how I could find that out without knocking on all potential doors and asking or if I could block it as an option I wouldn't have to look at it. Does anyone know if that's possible?

Alternatively, please feel free to cheer me up with other small things that annoy you so that I can put it into perspective. :wink: Thanks.

J

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:19 am 

pop a note into all the doors locally asking if it is theirs and could they change the name :oops: :oops: no perhaps not!

I have my computer set to connect to wireless in a specific order so never actually see what is available - is it possible to do this?

PS just checked and I am the only network around..... walls all too thick in these old houses I think

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:35 am 

Your wireless connectivity should be set so that yours in the only one it links directly to.

If you're 'seeing' the others then you're not set up properly.

I don't have time to talk you through it right now, if no-one else is able to help you I'll come back on tonight and talk you through it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:12 pm 

Thank you for your replies...I had a feeling that it might be down to me not having set things up right. We don't have a wireless network...I am logging on with a dongle...does that make a difference?

Thanks for the suggestion of a nice note Herman...as you say, maybe not...it all really depends who it is on how you deal with things like this doesn't it. Better to hide it if I can I think.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:26 pm 

Jeepers wrote:
Thank you for your replies...I had a feeling that it might be down to me not having set things up right. We don't have a wireless network...I am logging on with a dongle...does that make a difference?

So just turn the wireless networking on your machine off, then.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:49 pm 

Oh *blush* I knew I should have read all those tiny print instructions that came with it in the box. Apologies for being so generally technically inept!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:16 pm 

All's well that ends well :D

Glad you've got it sorted!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:24 pm 

Jeepers wrote:
Oh *blush* I knew I should have read all those tiny print instructions that came with it in the box. Apologies for being so generally technically inept!

Don't worry - probably loads of other people have read this thread and have just discovered that they can switch off the wireless....