Yet more reading woes on the forum ....

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scarlett

Re: Yet more reading woes on the forum ....

Post by scarlett »

I suppose that's quite an original excuse to say you've lost your reading book because your Mum snatched it up and promptly made a necklace with it...hope the books aren't too heavy, you'll get terrible neck ache.

Here's one I've rustled up just to cheer you up, PPMum...

push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Oh, scarlett, I love it!
I already have the matching earrings. :D Image
mystery

Post by mystery »

Perhaps Phillip Pullman and Michael Morpugo will not be man enough for him. You'll need more than a set of papier mache cufflinks to get round that one - maybe a sword and shield?

I've got reading woes too. Child who insists she has to read some dreadful old ORT books which she hates rather than books from home that she loves; I still have to get to the bottom of that one.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Maybe use them to fashion a headband with Floppy having pride of place .You'll probably be banned from taking them home then. :)
mystery

Post by mystery »

That's an idea. I have always envied the families who don't get sent books or homework as the teachers have lost all hope of anything ever reappearing in school.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

mystery wrote:That's an idea. I have always envied the families who don't get sent books or homework as the teachers have lost all hope of anything ever reappearing in school.
At DS's school, children who aren't allowed to bring books home are also heard read by a member of staff every day (a privilege neither of my kids were granted even in Reception.) Definitely time to start brushing up on my papier mache skills. :evil: :lol:
I made this mask so I can sneak into school plays and concerts without being asked what became of Finnegan's Wake (or whatever Teacher decides is the next 'must read' book for 7 year olds.)
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

OOOhhhh, I feel for you!!! You are lucky if you're children read at all and my opinion is that they should read what appeals to them, certainly at such a young age. We are lucky our teachers feel the same at our school - as long as they are reading - even magazines if things are really hard to inspire them at times, then so be it.
Why should anyone read something they dont enjoy? A sure way to put off a new reader. :shock:
Obviously you can introduce other books (maybe reading along side) but go with your gut. You are the parent...!!!! :)
outofboroughmum

Post by outofboroughmum »

What happened to 'Partnership with Parents' and 'Parents are children's 1st educator'? This was flaunted so highly in educational policies but woe betide the parent who tries to show a bit of a knowledge of what is best for their child. I think generally some teachers think parents are on the main 'thick' :shock: !!!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well I'm kind of both so I've got a double dose of thickness, haven't I? (That was a real question, not a rhetorical one).
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

my opinion is that they should read what appeals to them
Could not agree more! I spent much of my early teens reading Asterix and Tintin and superhero comics, driving my father to despair as he tried to foist on me Graham Greene or John Buchan. An English degree and 20+ years as a journalist later, he’s just about prepared to concede defeat :lol:

Reading is important. What you read at any given age much less so, imho.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now