Reading book

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
twinkles

Re: Reading book

Post by twinkles »

My son really enjoyed the Henderson boys and is currently working his way through the Cherub series and loving them too.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

scary mum wrote:Michael Morpugo?
My daughter detested reading but Michael Morpugo transformed her love for reading. I hatched a plan and went to see him when he was at some Racecourse in Surrey. He read to them, explained a bit more about his stories and why he invloved an animal in most of his story lines and how he gets ideas to write his books. I am not sure what exactly caught my DD's attention but she reads a LOT now. I even wrote a personal thank you letter to Morpugo because I had tried everything without much success.

You could try it no-ball, you may find some authors coming round near you and take him there. I didn't even tell her much, I just said it will be a day out with a guy called Murpurgo reading a story to them in addition to all the family fun :lol:.
Last edited by sherry_d on Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impossible is Nothing.
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

scary mum wrote:Surely no 12 year old boy could resist Harry Potter? The first one isn't too thick and intimidating. Or those ones about the Greek gods? Percy someone?
That would have to be the Percy jackson series by Rick Riordan. :D
;D
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Waterstones often have visiting authors. We saw Ali Titmuss there once :oops: .
moved

Post by moved »

Try here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =1&t=17436" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Hi no ball,

I was just looking at the promotions on the book club catalogue ( I am not advertising) and, being very interested in modern history, I was attracted by the book: The Trenches from the collection ‘My story’. I checked the comments on amazon... and reading this one made me think about your DS:

This is not so much a review on the book itself but more about its effect. This book was bought by chance for my thirteen year old son. He is a very reluctant reader and finds reading and English very difficult. He has sadly only read one book in the past year. This is despite being given lots of encouragement by us all. However, this book was read by him inside a week, at every available opportunity he picked it up. He has told us all what a great book it is, how interesting he found it and how the words were put together in such a way that he could really imagine being around during that time. He has now asked me to get him another two books from the same series, because he wants to read some more. Now what book could have a better recommendation than that? Thank you to the author and the publishers.

Maybe this book could interest your child and develop his love for reading??? It might work as it might not...

Hoping that he would become a bookworm! :D
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

Alex rider?
;D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now