Coram boy

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sgcmum

Coram boy

Post by sgcmum »

How have dc's reacted generally to this book?
Daogroupie

Re: Coram boy

Post by Daogroupie »

Ah, are you doing it too? It is quite shocking for them. We find the music plot very interesting. It is quite sobering for girls to read out about the terrible consequences of pregnancy at that time. What did your dd think of it? DG
sgcmum

Post by sgcmum »

They are doing it chapter by chapter, been told not to read read it all beforehand.two chapters so far.
DD is shocked that somebody could have a heart to bury a live baby.concept of illegitimate children and their fate has upset her and am sure she has had some nightmares.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

We did Frederich last year, a Jewish boy in **** Germany and Coram boy this year. We read both together over the summer holidays last year and this. They are both harrowing and I wanted to be able to talk about the issues together as they came up. It is very odd now in secondary school that they dont have their own copy of the book. They even write essays on the book with just a small sheet of quote to use. I am told it is because it is too expensive for the school to buy 30 copies of the book and parents dont want to have to buy them. I find this incredible when I see the cars some of the parents drive and clothes they wear. Actually I think many of the parents are simply unaware that there are no copies of the book available. I would advise you to get the book and go through it with her if it is having such an impact on her. She is your child after all. DG
sgcmum

Post by sgcmum »

Oh she has the book and I've read the whole thing.(all text books are handed down from earlier years and she will pass it on next year)
Some of the detailed and vivid descriptions might be too much for a eleven year old to take.we have had some reassuring discussions.
I am thinking if I should buy a copy of all her texts.especially the core subjects.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Good to hear that HBS can stretch to buying the books and then handing them on! We have a second copy of the textbooks which means dd can leave heavy book in locker and not have to carry it home. DD
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now