Guy Fawkes and the 5th November

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Looking for help

Re: Guy Fawkes and the 5th November

Post by Looking for help »

Ah it's all becoming clear in a sort of befuddled way.

Now why would a council ban a bonfire on account of these masks, or am I just too thick to understand?

I'm not that bothered about fireworks night myself, hate the noise for the dog's sake, well more actually for mine, because he whines and cries and tries to get under the couch, and he's huge, it's just plain upsetting.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I hate the fact I have to tear myself away from the X Factor and my glass of wine to watch 2 minutes of mediocre fireworks before the crowd does a huge about turn en mass and stampedes to the exit.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

I saw this thread this morning and thought I was perhaps being a bit dopey as I didn't know what um was talking about. :oops: So relieved I'm not the only one. :) Where are you um? Tell us more.
um

Post by um »

Has nobody been watching the 'occupy' protests around the world? Everyone is wearing these masks :roll:

The practice of burning an effigy of some Catholic guy who attempted (with the help of insider spies who set him up) to ignite the Houses of Parliament, but failed and suffered a rather nasty death....has always intrigued me. Coughton Court in Warwickshire is a great place to go and explore this history - apparently Fawkes himself stopped by there whilst fleeing the King's men.

After all, how would you explain what was happening to someone outside the UK who had never heard of it? :lol: They would think we were barmy...

So I was now wondering that since Fawkes has had an image makeover courtesy of Warner Bros. whether we would stop burning him atop bonfires?

I don't think this is behind the decision in Birmingham to cancel the annual Pype Hayes Bonfire...but it does seem the practice is dying out and being replaced with fireworks instead.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think insurance companies have had more to do with councils not being able to have bonfires .....

Shame if the whole thing stopped -I like the traditions:
The hostage MP
Before the Queen travels to Parliament from Buckingham Palace, certain traditional precautions are taken. A member of the government is held at Buckingham Palace to guarantee the safe return of the monarch. The hostage is released upon the safe return of the Queen.
Searching the cellars
The Yeomen of the Guard search the cellars of the Houses of Parliament, in a tradition that dates back to the Gunpowder Plot of 1605, when Guy Fawkes was arrested while preparing to blow up Parliament.
um

Post by um »

Do they still have the cellars :shock: ? You would have thought they'd learn from experience and block them up :lol: .
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

um wrote:Do they still have the cellars :shock: ? You would have thought they'd learn from experience and block them up :lol:
Of course they do. All that fine vintage hooch has to go somewhere! :wink:
Marylou
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now