Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Postal Scam
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:05 am 

Am sure some of you may have seen this already via emails, but here is the text just in case!

Postal Scam:

Can you circulate this around especially as Xmas is fast approaching - it has been confirmed by Royal Mail. The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following scam:

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact the m on 0906 6611911 (a Premium rate number).

DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize .

If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £315 for the phone call.

If you do receive a card with these details, then please contact Royal Mail Fraud on 020 7239 6655.
For more information, see the Crime Stoppers website:
http://www.crimestoppers-uk.org/crime-prevention/helping-prevent-crime/scams/postal-delivery-scam

Post subject: Re: Postal Scam
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:42 am 

According to Snopes this was resolved in 2005, but this email continues to circulate:
http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/pds.asp

They do however point out that this is an easy fraud and could easily pop up again, so people should be aware of it.

Post subject: Re: Postal Scam
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:26 am 

I had this card put through my door just before Xmas last year. I had been expecting a parcel but fortunately didn't ring the number because it had no address printed on it and just a premium rate telephone number which seemed suspicious to me, so googled it and discovered it was a scam.

The Royal Mail Fraud team were surprised this had re-emerged because they thought they'd dealt with it years ago. They telephoned the number printed & it was disconnected: but I was glad they made the phone call, not me!