Teenager winter coats

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Thingsbehindthesun

Re: Teenager winter coats

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

I always take the kids with me for clothes shopping as after purchasing it may be "too big/too tight" :roll: :lol:

But dd1 coat is from john lewis girl range and dd2's from m&s. I tend to go for the more warmer ones as opposed to thin coats,so if they're hot they could take it off if they wanted.
;D
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

My DS (13) hates wearing coats. He will wear a fleece at a push. But last year I did get him a trendy coat from J 4 JC at Deb..hams which he really likes and did wear to school without any fuss. However, I'm not sure what he will do this year as his school have just made blazers compulsory and I bought him one with plenty of room to grow in :lol: so finding a coat to fit over that might prove difficult and there is no way he would wear anything like a cagoule type thing over the top as he can't stand the rustling sound these coats make.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I bought Master Yoyo a Helly Hansen coat , very padded and with thick 'fur' round the hood. He was a short stocky year 8 then, he's still wearing it even though he is a tall skinny 19 year old.

It has also withstood 2 New Year's celebrations on Princes Street in Edinburgh in freezing conditions, returning only slightly beer stained.

Well worth the money!
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Whilest I acknowledge that teens find it the hight of un-cool to wear any top coat or rain-wear then I think that the wearing of a winter coat, like wearing of sensible, supporting shoes is very important. I found myself in all practical circumstances the sole parent of two girls. One resisted being "sensible" the other embraced it . The former has yet to achieve anything even after four years of University, the other has been outstanding in her achievements; so much so it is a "given" - yet even she resists the top coat at every opportunity. This is merely the all too powerful desire of the young NOT to stand out in the crowd. Save some money!
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

I'd buy a coat to fit over the blazer. At least, that's what I did last year when I bought ds1 a very trendy coat from Next (which he wore happily for a week until it got nicked!) :evil: :cry:

twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Well exactly DIY Mum I am fed up of things going 'missing'/get nicked at his school so I feel that if he has a coat as well as a blazer to not lose it's just asking for trouble.

I will cross that bridge if I have to when it's freezing cold or pouring hard and he's fed up of being cold/getting soaked!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

F mine has more than 2 things to think about when he gets off the bus, he leave something behind. So far: mobile phone (twice), tennis racket, PE kit (twice). We have even been to the nice bus driver's house to collect things after the end of term. A coat would be asking for trouble as he would only take it to keep me quiet, carry it, and leave it behind. As I said above, he will wear one at home (when it snows :lol: )
scary mum
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I've made such a hoo ha about making sure DS doesn't lose anything he only wore his coat for a week and would bring it home screwed up in a minute ball in his bag. He now has compromised and has a pac a mac which he has promised to put on if there is torrential rain....but I know he won't.
um

Post by um »

My ds1 has a traditional brown duffle coat, so the chances of it getting nicked are probably slim :wink:

He wears it happily as he hates the cold. It was bought a few years ago in the south of Spain, where presumably people don't really need heavy brown duffle coats, hence the huge price reduction :lol:

I do blame it for his getting beaten up at the bus stop last year through...he was a standing target with that on :roll:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Cry trendy, duffle coats. This year at least, so he'll be ok this year!
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now