Education and Eliteisum

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Marylou

Re: Education and Eliteisum

Post by Marylou »

Do Oxford graduates get a degree certificate without arranging a ceremony, then? I've had to supply my graduation certificate on several occasions to prospective employers, and to clients when I became self-employed. I remember it was possible to graduate in absentia if you couldn't make the ceremony for some reason, but I wouldn't have got away with not having a piece of paper to wave at work providers!

Edited to add - my certificate is in Latin for some reason. Fortunately nobody has ever asked for a translation. :?
Marylou
sterling

Post by sterling »

Do Oxford graduates get a degree certificate without arranging a ceremony, then?
I don't know the answer to this question I'm afraid because we both had a graduation ceremony soon after our degree. However, I've never needed to show my certificate and hence still don't have one.

I went back to use the Bodeian library a while ago and they dug out the old files of green-striped computer print outs of our year and found my name to prove I had passed my degree. I was once told you didn't need a certificate because Oxbridge degrees were published somewhere so it was a matter of public record and companies, etc, could check them out independently, in the same way they can check doctors' and solicitors' qualifications. Don't know how true that is.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

I don't have a degree certificate, no. (Or if I did, I lost it immediately, lol!) But I've never been asked to show it to anyone.

Oxford are the same as Cambridge, giving out BAs that convert to MAs. I seem to remember checking it out at some point, and you could acquire the MA without having to spend an afternoon in the Sheldonian if you wanted - which must have meant somehow graduating in absentia. So I guess I could still get some proof of my degree if needed.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now