What to buy your partner/husband?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Re: What to buy your partner/husband?

Post by Amber »

I was being general rather than specific. I would not use the forum to comment on my OH's taste in presents, which is actually rather good. If it included black, red or electronic items, I would not be sharing that with the 11 plus community. 8)

He never looks at the forum anyway. Too busy shopping.
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Be careful what you wish for Scarlett. Organised husbands are not always a good thing.

My 40th was last week and I've wanted a 'proper SLR' camera for years. DH never, and I mean never, buys a present before my birthday, always on or after the fact, which is fine by me.

Anyway I'd chosen the one I wanted, just hadn't told him as I presumed we'd go out shopping together for it, like we have for the last 15 years !

But no, the half term week we arrive at our rented cottage in Wales and beaming he pulls out of the car a camera he'd bought, thinking it would be lovely that I could take photo's there and have it early (and that is a lot of thinking for my DH).

It was great just not what I wanted at all. So I said thank you very much for being thoughtful, but can we please take it back so I can get the one I want. "Err no, but it's a non returnable item from Arrgooose". So as it was a £400 camera, I have no choice but to keep it.

Now he thinks I'm and ungrateful cow and I've ended up with an expensive camera I don't want, with no possibility of being able to spend that kind of money again until my 50th !

So my vote is going to disorganised DH's, and hope that nomal order is restored next year.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Oh, but that's so sweet , Logic .I dream of the day I wake up on my birthday with a pile of presents nestled next to my pillow. In the summer , he actually went to the shops...TKMaxx....and bought up the whole shops supply of those funny turkish delight type sweets they sell. When I had a huge paddy he thought I was being spoilt :evil: I shall have to tell him your story !
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I always think that a nice pair of new oven gloves is an ideal pressie for my DH :lol:
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Rob Clark wrote: Fran, I’m sorry, if DW gave me a drill I might be tempted to drill holes in her wardrobe :lol:
:lol: :lol:

I think the Body Shop aftershave etc. is a great idea for DH and DSs.

My DH isn't very good at choosing presents for me. However, last year he bought me one of those electronic photo frames. The ones you can store lots of photos on and the image changes every 30 seconds or so. I love family photos and I was absolutely thrilled with it.
tense

Post by tense »

I love the idea of "nothing new after 1 November" from Snowdrops. My DH just buys what he wants whenever he fancies it leaving me short of present ideas. The idea about theatre tokens / days out is good - groupon often has deals (we all did a birds of prey experience this year which was really fun).

My DH bought me an adaptor plug once. That was a real low (but at least we were poor students!). Later on he went through a phase of buying me "real" jewellery which I hate & never wear. I returned an eternity ring he bought me once - he was a bit miffed & I didn't get anything for a few years :? . I know it sounds so ungrateful but it was just such a waste of money....
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Last year (it may have been the year before) I had a new camera for my birthday.

I did loads of research and found the one I wanted. I sent a link to DNH (dear NEW :lol: hubby) so he knew absolutely, positively which one I wanted, and where to get it from.

The parcel arrived, and I acted as if I didn't know what it was :roll: :wink: :wink: He duly wrapped it and presented it to me on my birthday. I very excitedly opened it up and nearly broke down in tears, he'd only managed to buy me the wrong one!! He just couldn't help himself and clicked on other links having a nose about the site and ended up ordering the wrong one :shock: Luckily we were able to exchange it, but it did take the edge off the 'experience'

PS: I LOVE my camera, it's one of my bestest presents ever, I'm so glad I have someone to buy me exactly what I want :lol: :lol: :lol:

PPS: Oh, I just thought, I always ask for piano lessons now (I started a year or so back) and I find it very handy to have them paid for, especially if I can't think of anything else from people. So, if your OH has always hankered after playing the guitar, drums etc, you could have a lifelong gift for them (well, a few years anyway!) :D
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

That would just be the last straw Snowdrops. No present on my birthday and then DH banging away on his new drums.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

But just think of the pleasure you could have if one of the skins accidentally got errrr, 'broken' :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Revenge is sweet!

Oh no, really giving things away now :oops: :oops:

I'm not bitter, honest and I don't hold grudges (not after 30 years anyway :lol: :lol: ).
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

A female relative of Mrs 1880 got a rotary clothes line from her other half a few Christmases ago. The following year it was a fax machine. Mrs 1880 rarely gives me any trouble about presents (except when I really run out of ideas and resort to something electronic that I've wanted for a while) - she knows how much worse it could be...

Mike
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now