Choosing A Level subjects, advice appreciated!!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
chocolate

Choosing A Level subjects, advice appreciated!!

Post by chocolate »

After having recently got DD through eleven plus, I now have to assist older DS (who is at boys grammar) with choosing A level subjects. This is all new to me so any advice would be welcome. Does anyone have any advice on whether certain subjects at A level are better than others? What I mean by this is I feel as if there are a lot of new subjects which have come up in recent years, apart from the core subjects. Are these A levels as well regarded as those in core subject (by universities or employers?) My son will be taking four A levels, he seems particularly interested in Media Studies, as he is interested in journalism for a career. All advice with this process greatly appreciated. Look forward to your comments!!
magwich2

Re: Choosing A Level subjects, advice appreciated!!

Post by magwich2 »

I think it may partly depend how good his results at gcse are likely to be and therefore what kind of university he is likely to aim for. Can you give us any further information?
Thanks
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Does he want to know what he wants to do after school. University? Career? It may be worth researching into his long term plans to see what a-levels would be preferable.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Watching this with interest as our thoughts are turning to A levels and I have a DD who has absolutely no clue what she wants to do!
scary mum
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You must read the Russell group hard and soft options for a levels. It makes shocking reading. In their opinion media studies is not taken seriously. Good hard core subjects such as Economics, History, Geography,phil, languages and English lit , not Law or business studies or eng lang or media studies or psychology. I was very grateful to have read this as it changed my mind. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Not everyone chooses Russell group ... for Engineering they are not necessarily the best for employment prospects.

But, saying that, do look at that list but take it with a small pinch of salt.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Guest55, me again...

DD is undecided as to whether to do English Language or Literature at A Level. She also has the option of combining both. I have done a little research which suggests that Literature is a 'hard' subject and Language is a 'soft'. What are your thoughts on this? Also, do you think it is best to do one or the other rather than combined?DD is applying to Sixth Form tomorrow so no pressure to answer quickly! :lol:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Go for the Literature option as that has a better reputation.

However, check the books are ones that will be enjoyed ....
chocolate

Post by chocolate »

Hi All

Thank you so much for your helpful tips. The 'informed choices' pdf on Russell Group Website is really useful, just the sort of advice and guidance I have been looking for. It's all still giving me a headache, feels like more stress than the 11+, (no surely not!!!! it's just that 11+ is all behind me now and this A-level stuff is all new :lol: ). Have got a meeting with the school next week, so hoping it will all become much clearer then :cry: . I will probably be back on the forum after that, so look out for me!!!!!! Just one more question, at my DS's school they are saying he will need A's in any subject he wants to take at A level, is this correct or is the grammar school just trying to push them to achieve A's????
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now