Can anyone recommend a good board game to play?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Moonlight

Re: Can anyone recommend a good board game to play?

Post by Moonlight »

Thanks to everyone for all of your replies. I didn't get a chance to look at the forum yesterday and can't believe how many responses I've had. Will have a word with DH when he gets home and have another look at some of the suggestions put forward.
sp

Post by sp »

Not a board game but "Who Am I" very popular with ours, especially when we have friends round. We've never bought the official game but write names of famous/known-to-us people/pets etc on address labels and distribute appropriately. The benefits of DIY is a) no costs and b) you can pick names that the player will have a hope of guessing ie trendy celebs/sports stars for the younger element and older ones for the more mature players! Possibilities are endless.
WorriedRuby

Post by WorriedRuby »

Monopoly is still popular in my house. Kids sit and play for hrs and hrs.
Few years ago I bought 500 pieces puzzle, and Every Christmas we solve this puzzle as a family. Once Christmas Holidays are over , keep it back in the box for next year.
UNO is good card game.
A Mum

Post by A Mum »

Carcasonne is one of our favorites.

Scotland Yard - a game where someone is Mr X and whose counter only appears on the board every five moves during the game and the rest of the players are detectives who move around the map of London board trying to work out where Mr X is by working out where he has possibly moved to by the method he has picked to travel, eg. bus, taxi or train. Its for age 10+ but younger children are able to play it with a little support at first but soon seem able to play on their own.

Break the safe - a game where everyone tries to find the keys to unlock the safe before the timer runs out so either every one wins by opening the safe in time or everyone loses when the buzzer goes off.

My children are very keen on Payday and also like Mancala and Yatzee.

Outburst - while not a board game is quite good if there are a number of people as you split into two teams and shout out possible answers to find the 10 things listed on the answer card. We find it quite good when there are large age ranges (young children to grand parents) as everyone can contribute.
Spatel2

Post by Spatel2 »

Top 5 games reviewed in the evening standard
1) For the strategist: Perigon (Clarendon Games, available from Fortnum & Mason, £39.99)
2) For the family: Hey! That’s My Fish! (Mayfair Games, Amazon.co.uk, £5.40)
3) For the creative: Dixit Odyssey (Libellund, Boardgameguru.co.uk, £22.99)
4) For the nerd: London: The Board Game (Sophisticated Games, £19.99)
5) For the Olympian: London 2012 Monopoly (Winning Move, London2012.com £35.00)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now