18 Rated Video games

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SEP18

Re: 18 Rated Video games

Post by SEP18 »

Sally-Anne wrote:
SEP18 wrote:Sorry but this sounds like a "Troll" posting to me.

:lol: :lol:
Alice in Underland has made 4 fewer posts than your own 86 posts. She also joined a few months before you.

I think we can rule out "Troll" and take this seriously.
:D
My apologies then. Have not noticed the number of posts being listed underneath username before. :oops:
zorro

Post by zorro »

I have learned to choose my battles with DS - nearly 15.
I don't really like these games and made a fuss initially but ALL his friends play them together at each other's houses and online so relented.
The only one I have refused to buy and will never change my mind about is Grand Theft Auto as it promotes crime.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

zorro wrote:The only one I have refused to buy and will never change my mind about is Grand Theft Auto as it promotes crime
Agree about choosing the battles! (or "don't sweat the small stuff", another way of putting it!) Fortunately DS hasn't mentioned GTA yet, being more into Call of Duty - and, more recently, some rather painful-looking skateboarding games...but I plan to stand firm on this one if the issue arises.
Marylou
cam

Post by cam »

Knowing I'm not keen on war game type stuff, my youngest recently inquired rather casually if he could get 'Cod.'
"What's cod," I said, "Just a fishing game," :lol: He didn't get it, but it was a good try.
Alice in Underland

Post by Alice in Underland »

Sorry but no idea what a Troll posting is either ?

Interesting the directions this debate has taken. What I didn't tell you is that I lived for 7 years in the NE USA where it is perfectly acceptable to go up to a complete stranger and start a conversation. Usually this involves giving a complement eg "I love your hairstyle" but could also be a criticism of anything.

The other woman in the queue at Blockbuster,who commented on the 18 rating for this game, by complete coincidence was an American.

I posed the question because I really didn't know what would be the accepted protocol for this type of situation in the UK. Off to do some wholesome and non violent music practice with my kids now.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

A troll is someone who posts something deliberately to cause an argument, or to stir up emotions.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

My 16 and 17 year old play on 18 rated games. When they first got the xbox we were very strict about the games they played on until, like others on here, it became apparent that they were playing on them at friends' houses. They were friends from lovely families and in most cases had older siblings. We decided to look carefully at the games on offer and relented depending upon the suitability. As for my 12 year old he tends to stick to 12s and 15s (and I will probably be shot down in flames here) but is allowed to play on COD. We made a decision based on our knowledge of the game. When his friends come over I always check with parents first if it is ok for their sons to play on it, and without exception they have all said yes and that their sons have COD. These are all lovely families with responsible parents who have made a judgement call regarding their sons.

My sons are not violent or aggressive boys, a bit stroppy sometimes, but I think we can put that down to their age. I think children from a loving, caring environment who are taught right from wrong and display empathy, are very unlikely to go out shooting people because they have played on a video game. I have discussed this issue with mine and they laugh about it. They say it's not real, it's just a game and they couldn't even begin to imagine hurting someone in real life. I do think we have to leave it up to individual parents to decide. Mine don't get much time to play on them anyway what with school work, jobs (not the 12 year old obviously), sport, musical instruments and seeing their friends. The only games that will not come into our house are the Grand Theft Auto ones, luckily they haven't asked for them anyway.
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

I love it when narrow minded people generalise. People like violent computer games coz they are sad and have nothing else in their lives?

Being Chinese I've heard my share of generalisations, both positive & negative ones. We are supposed to be studious good at music and respective towards our elders :)

Now, apparently my son and I am supposed to be sad coz we like games like GTA.
tedolita

Post by tedolita »

I try my best everyday not to be narrow minded, and I'm not in any way judging you or anybody else that chooses to play any type of game, but you must admit that GTA does not have any redeeming features.

Never having been into Video games ourselves, DH and I bought it for the boys last year, as they said it was a "driving game". What a huge mistake that was. I will not allow them to play with it now, and I wish they would never want to play that at any age.
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

We only allow our dc to watch films for which his age qualifies him to watch. Simple rule and one he abides with freely.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now