18 Rated Video games

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Pushy Dad

Re: 18 Rated Video games

Post by Pushy Dad »

Re comment about Tetris Effect, that is to do with the technology behind monitors. Screen savers came into being to stop images being permanently burned into the screen. That is why after 2 hours of playing Doom in the 90s I could still see the images when I closed my eyes.
Today's monitors have different technology so screen savers serve no function beyond personalising your PC.
aargh

Post by aargh »

Pushy Dad wrote:cum hoc ergo propter hoc (Latin) - with this, therefore because of this.
This is a major problem with all research, it is not possible to isolate the influences. Researchers can however note the effects of an increase in a particular activity.

The GTP research shows unconscious physical responses due to gaming (the movements used are evidently gaming moves) but these are not violent and can be useful, as in saving the researcher's life on the icy road :o
Pushy Dad wrote:Re comment about Tetris Effect, that is to do with the technology behind monitors. Screen savers came into being to stop images being permanently burned into the screen. That is why after 2 hours of playing Doom in the 90s I could still see the images when I closed my eyes.
Tetris effect occurs whether there is screen burn or not, it is caused by any repeated image on the visual cortex.
I still get Tetris effect playing on my brand new mac. Technology stopping screen burn stops the input of a burnt on screen image but does not stop the repetitive image input from the game or whatever else you are viewing. I got Tetris effect yesterday from re-editing a single section of video too many times. I was seeing the same swaying sea storm for hours afterwards, with the room seeming to roll like the motion in the scene (and earworm from the backing track I was using).

The research was stressing that the Tetris effect occurs with any image constantly input, not specifically computer games. They only use computer games to test the theory because their image input and use time are easy to monitor and measure.
The same effect occurs if you stare at a brightly lit window in a dim room, then close you eyes, you can still see the pattern of the window.

Where there was concern was when hallucinations occurred - such as the sliding bookcase.

GTP and Tetris effect are nothing to do with violent responses. I just thought these an interesting side study.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

I have been reading this thread and am now hoping for some advice. Ds1 has an ipod and was given an itunes voucher for Christmas. Despite conversations between us regarding age ratings and my threats to remove age restricted games if he purchases them he has bought grand theft auto. I was :shock: and :twisted: but dh insists that they are ok as "we played games like this when we were young". Ds has told us that he will not do any missions as he started one and was :twisted: by the language. Could this be a compromise?
I am also very :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: as his i-tunes account has a 12+ limit and I am thinking of challenging their sale of this to him. What would you do?
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
aargh

Post by aargh »

GTA is very violent and gives points for stealing, murder and abuse of prostitutes. Is this a good attitude to promote?
I do not think the games we played when we were younger were as morally dubious as GTA. Perhaps if he likes violent games DS could try a battle game?
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Thanks aargh. The problem has now been solved as I have found parent settings that I missed before which have allowed me to block the game until he is 18 :D . I would still like to take this up with i-tunes though.
I have told dh that he can play the game and then see how he feels about ds1 playing it as I am sure that he will come around to my way of thinking. :wink:
Happy new year.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
zorro

Post by zorro »

GTA is the one game I will not be persuaded to allow. No way, EVER!
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

zorro wrote:GTA is the one game I will not be persuaded to allow. No way, EVER!
Me too - DH has said a big NO to that one, which isn't a problem as DS's friends do not play this either.
aargh

Post by aargh »

I found this on the itunes terms and conditions

You understand that by using the Service, you may encounter material that you may deem to be offensive, indecent, or objectionable, and that such content may or may not be identified as having explicit material. Nevertheless, you agree to use the Service at your sole risk and iTunes shall have no liability to you for material that may be found to be offensive, indecent, or objectionable. Product types and descriptions are provided for convenience, and you agree that iTunes does not guarantee their accuracy.

also

This Service is available for individuals aged 13 years or older. If you are 13 or older but under the age of 18, you should review this Agreement with your parent or guardian to make sure that you and your parent or guardian understand it.

So basically they are saying you have to be over 13 to use the service and that anything you choose is at you own risk. Whether this is legally sound is another matter.
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

I think you can go into the ipod via restrictions and set a pass word before any purchase is made, works well for my ds. No discussion, no game! I think its just about being open and honest and explaing its not being controlling, just being a caring parent. At the moment he's going through the kevin stage(anyone remember him)! i could ask him to brush his teeth and im being mean so regulating his gaming seems easy in comparison to everything else!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now