Nausea ? Help

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Saffron

Re: Nausea ? Help

Post by Saffron »

How about trying a low fibre breakfast? It might help with that urge to evacuate...maybe some eggs with white bread and Scarlett's chamomile tea. Also I think warm milk is great for settling a nervous tummy. Perhaps a mint might help when he's feeling nauseous in assembly or an antacid, and get him to focus on his breathing until the nausea passes. Is the assembly hall hot and stuffy? If so perhaps he could ask to be at the back or near a door. Poor guy, I really hope he starts to feel better soon.
Saffron
ahap

Post by ahap »

I had this type of nausea in the early mornings during brushing. It started after I left school and started working during the year before starting uni. I realised this happened when I got up earlier than my usual time. I didn't like waking up very early. But this subsided with age.

I dont know whether it helps but I thought I 'd share my experience. :)
Last edited by ahap on Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Constipation and nausea can go hand in hand apparently???? And it's not always clear if someone is or is not constipated it would seem. I'm wondering also if the new school timetable - leaving so early and being on a journey for so long - has mucked around with the timetable for the call of nature so to speak, thus intensifying the problem in some way. Scarlett, am I talking rubbish?

Mmmm these threads are delightful.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Mot at all, mystery, I think that’s a good suggestion.

logic, do you know what DS’s blood sugar reading was? The only reason I ask is that stomach pains (more often cramping rather than nausea) is a precursor to Type I diabetes and can last a long time before developing into anything.
ahap

Post by ahap »

I think you are correct mystery. Emptying the bowels should be the first thing early in the morning and this does not happen to some. This may be one of the reasons for nausea I think.
Scarlett correct me if I am wrong.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Are you completely sure he is not anxious? I mean apart from being anxious About the nausea? New school, big demands, puberty approaching, and tired from all of those things. Anxiety affects the bowels as well as the tummy -( I am not sure that there is any medical reason why as ahap says that anything in this department "should" happen first thing in the morning, though my grandfather swore it should and always got the senna out if it did not).
Btw not trying to dismiss it as 'just' anxiety because anxiety is a serious issue, but it might explain negative blood tests etc.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Are you completely sure he is not anxious?
I agree with Amber - he may not even realise he is anxious - it is all such a big change from primary school - it would certainly make me anxious, even if that wasn't how I expressed it! If it is that, hopefully it will resolve as he settles in more and more and it just becomes the routine, rather than being something (relatively) new.
scary mum
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

No you're correct, Mystery and Ahap in that you can feel very yucky indeed if constipated and it is still possible to go everyday and still be constipated...think a large lump stuck in a tube and more fluid poo leaking around it...some parents will be quite adamant that their child isn't constipated because they are "regular as clockwork "but the abdominal xray tells a different story. That may account for Ds alternating between normal stool and diarrhoea. The way he describes his tummy like a washing machine and then having pain under the ribs does sound as if his intestines are cramping a bit . I think it might be anxiety related...probably now because he is worrying and waiting for first period when it will all start. Have a good look at his diet...it won't matter not going first thing as his body will probably readjust in time. Thinking about it ( do I have to ) my DS has relapsed back to reception days when he bursts through the back door announcing he feels sick, has tummy ache...he just has to go ! I'm trying to impress upon him the need for dignity and privacy...he doesn't have to share a blow by blow account of these things with us all now he's older. ( especially when you may have the vicar sitting in the next room ).

Just off to treat myself to a Walnut Whip. :P
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

If there is enough time in the morning and you are now thinking it might help to go to the loo before school....hot water and lemon does work almost immediate wonders ! ( Could try it at the weekend first ).you drink it by the way ! :lol:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Oh, and one more thing ( just hopped out of the shower to post this...so much for going cold turkey :lol: ) is that it's a good sign that unlike before Christmas he hasn't come home at all ? either because he is slowly feeling slightly better or feels better equipped to cope with it all and perhaps if he is anxious then that will then abate ?

Over and out.