Good TV programmes

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Good TV programmes

Post by mystery »

Can anyone suggest some good TV programmes for 6 and 8 year old girls to watch - things they will enjoy, all genres.
Belinda

Re: Good TV programmes

Post by Belinda »

It depends what you mean by 'good'.

Each to their own when it comes to (pretty much all forms of) media.

It'll be based on her general interests surely?

Stick her in front of the TV and see what she likes? :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah well, one of them likes watching the same 20 episodes of Tracey Beaker again and again, and the other one likes watching Little Bear on Tiny Pop as many times as possible.

I record Blue Peter which they moan and groan about watching but do enjoy in reality and quote stuff time and again that they have seen on there. DVD-wise they like watching things which are well presented for their age group on how things are made, the way things work, artists, inventors, explorers etc but I find it hard to find DVDs that are well presented with child-appeal. They also like films based on books e.g. the Railway Children, the Secret Garden etc.

I don't really care what their interests are --- I just want to be able to short-cut through 100 channels and so much choice to something that is likely to appeal to that age group and through which their interests might develop further. At the moment watching the TV is a complete waste of time unless there is something to be gained from the 50th viewing (I kid you not) of the same episode of Tracey Beaker!

In terms of dislikes, anything remotely scary does not go down well, and animals are not found to be very interesting either.
Amber

Post by Amber »

When I was young there was a programme called 'Why don't you...(turn off the TV and go and do something more interesting instead)?' :D

You said yourself it's a waste of time, and while I am all for children wasting time, quite genuinely, they don't necessarily have to waste it in front of the TV. I wouldn't be going out of my way to find something they can watch, and if they want to watch stuff over and over again, does it matter? It's headspace time for them.

If you really want to entertain/educate them, get the DVDs of some of the Oliver Postgate and Peter Firmin stuff - show them what kids' TV used to be like - oh so much better. The Clangers, Bagpuss, and the ultimate in fabulous TV, Noggin the Nog.
mystery

Post by mystery »

:lol: Oh and my mother didn't let us watch the Clangers very often because they didn't speak!
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

Noggin the Nog is heaven, but last time I looked the DVDs were incredibly expensive - because not issued by a big company, but I think still by Smallfilms which made them.

The 40 minute Tin Tin episodes on DVD (I seem to recall 4 stories per set) are often quite reasonable on A****n and a good length to watch after tea and before bed :D
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Age 6 and age 8 sounds like the perfect time for Disney and other quality animations. I think Bugs Life and Monsters Inc are particularly good. Plus all the other fabulous classics including old musicals - my girls liked Annie, Bugsy Malone, Cats etc Don't knock the Barbie films if you haven't tried them - The Nutcracker uses the beautiful classical score and the stories are better than you might think. TV wise I love Horrible Histories and Deadly 60 then you have Angelina Ballerina or some of the serials made for tv which are available on DVD now. There is some rubbish on TV and I used to find Tracey Beaker annoying but probably won't do much harm and if it's not for that long as Amber says it doesn't matter and is a bit of down time. DS likes Wolfblood, Merlin and Doctor Who but he's 11. I second the vote for Noggin the Nog and Ivor the Engine plus we liked Oswald when mine were younger (he is a sweet little blue octopus if you haven't seen it - used to be on tv but you can get it on DVD.) I grew up with cartoons on tv and liked em - Scooby, Tom and Jerry, Top Cat. After school you just want to chill out and not have anything too educational!
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Amber wrote:If you really want to entertain/educate them, get the DVDs of some of the Oliver Postgate and Peter Firmin stuff - show them what kids' TV used to be like - oh so much better. The Clangers, Bagpuss, and the ultimate in fabulous TV, Noggin the Nog.
Don't forget Ivor the Engine. :)
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

Update - Tin Tin now seems very expensive and Noggin about £30 for all the episodes, which isn't bad - hmm tempted :wink:

"In the Lands of the North, where the black rocks stand guard against the cold sea, in the dark night that is very long, the men of the North Lands sit by their great log fires, and they tell a tale..."

and that lovely music
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh dear I must have missed out in childhood. We didn't have a TV much of the time. Off to sample Noggin the Nog on Youtube.