German or Spanish as a foreign language

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
suzanne

Re: German or Spanish as a foreign language

Post by suzanne »

My sister-in-law is head of foreign languages in a comprehensive secondary school. In her opinion German is a more difficult to learn language. The children who struggle with languages are encouraged to take Spanish.

She is concerned that learning German is in decline.

However, I understand that Spanish and Latin are a good combination.

I would encourage her to choose what she most enjoys.
nada

Post by nada »

Thank you all for sharing your views and experience on this topic. We are now very close to making our decision and it looks it will be German.
Amber

Post by Amber »

nada wrote:Thank you all for sharing your views and experience on this topic. We are now very close to making our decision and it looks it will be German.
I hope she enjoys it. If nothing else, the chance to see a few cases in action is mind-expanding and may well be useful in future. :D I loved it from day 1 and so do my Year 8 DS and his Year 6 brother who is also doing it at school.
dani*

Post by dani* »

Amber wrote:
dani* wrote:
bondgirl wrote:
Don't forget that German is also spoken in Austria and Switzerland, both strong economies.
Swiss German is nothing like German. German is probably closer to Dutch/Flemish.
Beg to disagree with that. Written Swiss German is identical to German German and Austrian German. It is just Hochdeutsch - a bit like what we call 'the Queen's English' . Dutch is a totally different language and to read it in any depth you need to have studied Dutch. In terms of spoken dialect it does depend on which part of Germany/Austria/Switzerland you are in - just like the UK there are accents and even distinct words. In northern Germany then yes possibly the 'Plattdeutsch' would be on the face of it similar to Dutch, whereas the Bavarian accent in the south sounds very similar to what is spoken in Austria. It's a bit like comparing Geordie with Cornwall. But speaking the 'official version' would get you understood, even if you might not understand what people said to you!

I agree that Latin is a fantastic language; but the choice here is between Spanish and German.

Edited to add: just saw your post Bondgirl. Agree. :)

I only mentioned the Latin in respect of grammar.

I must say I'm fascinated as to where you get your in dept knowledge on languages from? Have you actually really studied any of these? I do not recognize any of what you are saying. My native language is Dutch, I'm fluent in German which I picked up from my Nan as soon as I was old enough to talk. However, I know a lot of people who are fluent in Dutch and are able to understand abt.90% of what the Germans are saying in High German without having studied German.
We also have family in Switzerland and have been lucky enough to travel all around the country. Our auntie who has been living and working in Switzerland for about 20 years has just spent 2 years studying towards a degree in High German, she too seems to believe the difference is massive.
I think it is fair to say that I have had a lot of exposure to all three.

Plattdeutsch is again a total different issue imo.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Dani, I upset and offended by this.
I have a degree in German and a second degree in Russian. In the first I gained a distinction in spoken German. I am fluent in both. I don't like to put this on here because it sounds as if I am parading my qualifications, but am literally shaking with anger and disbelief that you would post in a personally vindictive way like this. It isn't even relevant to the OP's question. I studied Dutch and Swedish as part of my first degree and made may living with Russian for 12 years. I am married to an eastern European. I have taught French to GCSE and German and Russian to A level. I did Spanish as a subsidiary subject at university.

Wenn Sie mir immernoch night glauben, dann weiss ich nicht, was ich weiter machen kann. Aber bitte, nicht so personlich, ja?
Last edited by Amber on Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

dani* wrote:I must say I'm fascinated as to where you get your in dept knowledge on languages from?
I have a degree in French and German (class 2:1) and have lived in France and Germany. I have also spent a fair amount of time in Switzerland.

Amber - genau!! I feel exactly the same. Our posts crossed.
morgana

Post by morgana »

I agree with what Dani* is saying. I am from Hamburg and lived in London for about 5 years. Me too I can understand Dutch very well and I don't think there are a lot of simularities between Swiss German and German.
Amber

Post by Amber »

morgana wrote:I agree with what Dani* is saying. I am from Hamburg and lived in London for about 5 years. Me too I can understand Dutch very well and I don't think there are a lot of simularities between Swiss German and German.
Whatever the technicalities, I still see no reason for anyone to start hurling insults about. They hurt.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I must say I'm fascinated as to where you get your in dept knowledge on languages from? Have you actually really studied any of these?
That really is rather rude.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Whatever languages we all speak (or don't as in my case!), good manners is universal so lets be polite with one another.