Bright state school pupils 'less likely to get into Oxford'

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
new2me

Re: Bright state school pupils 'less likely to get into Oxfo

Post by new2me »

As I understand it the report deals generically about the number and grade of 'A' levels and not subject specific. Is there any evidence to suggest either state or independent pupils have the advantage when they have identical A levels and some hobbies/ interests to write about on the personal statement.
another mother

Post by another mother »

I don't know about subject specific comparisons but given the number of pupils with identical grades and similar achievements, it may be much more about how you write about your subject and pursuits and what you have to say that makes them relevant to the subject you want to study. In other words it's down to the individual rather than the school - though some schools help more than others :? (not incidentally DDs - it was pretty much up to her)

The only clear difference I can see is that almost all the Indie pupils we know with oxbridge offers are taking 4 A2s and the state pupils are mostly taking 3 A2s - the offers are mostly for 3 A2s, though some Russell Group and 1994 group are now making offers for 4A2 grades - often quite high across the board.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Interesting to get Oxford's view on the state/indie divide (taken from their report to OFFA):

There are students from relatively wealthy backgrounds at state
schools, and students from relatively disadvantaged ones at independent schools.
One third (around 410) of the current holders of the full Oxford Opportunity Bursary
(students with a household income of less than £25,000) were educated in the
independent sector.
Our goal is to increase access for under-represented groups. We are not convinced
that using school type is the best means to that end. We believe the targets we have
identified will be more useful in tackling the challenges of access from underrepresented
groups.
The University will continue to report in its annual statistical release the state and
independent mix of UK students attending UK schools who apply and who are made
offers. But in current circumstances, we do not believe this would be either a helpful or
meaningful target or benchmark in addressing the very complex factors related to
under-representation in selective universities.

I think, reading between the lines, what they are saying is that independent schools often provide a good education, and pupils (in particular disadvantaged ones) shouldn't suffer as a result.
Loopy