Advice PLEASE !!!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Fran17

Re: Advice PLEASE !!!

Post by Fran17 »

My eldest DS is not a natural when it comes to spelling. The only advice I can offer is to look through your DC's school books and pick out the words that she has spelt incorrectly and then commit them to flash cards. This worked wonders for our son. :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

I always like Amber's laid back responses. But why do teachers harp on about spellings at parents' evening and say that it is holding back written work if they don't really mean it? Yes, it probably will sort itself out and this child is still young. However, it may not. The fact that the school is mentioning it to the parent is maybe significant. Perhaps they are aren't great at teaching spelling so rather than just think ah well, this child will grow out of it, they think it is a significant thing to tell the parent. Or maybe they were just short of something to say at parents' evening who knows. The OP cannot know whether it will sort itself out without a little bit of extra effort at home or not. There are plenty of adults with poor spelling and who is to know whether or not our children will or will not fall into the poor spelling category as adults.

However, I don't find your personal experience entirely reassuring Amber. No matter how hard I try not to care about it and think of other fantastic aspects of the writer and the writing, I detest a mix of creative and spot-on spelling in older children. I learned to spell without it affecting my creativity or desire to write and I would like my children to have the same good experience. I know that spelling doesn't really matter, and is no indication of ability or hard work. Unfortunately a lot of employers value good spelling and jobs are getting harder and harder to come by. The badly spelt application is going to be amongst the first in the wastepaper basket unless the recruiter can't spell either.

I like the OP's point that she sends her children to school to learn more than she can teach them at home. I hope we all do that.
penguin

Post by penguin »

:? was nodding along with Amber, but then nodded harder with Mystery my DD has been told she is really good at literacy (from my knowledge - both creative language and sentence construction) but her spelling is almost exactly as OP described, even if it's written on the worksheet at the top of the paper. It also wasn't really highlighted as a real problem by school. I might try the intervention suggested - the remedial one.