Uniforms

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lulu

Post by lulu »

[quote="Proud Mum"]Yes I agree the uniform is very, very expensive but the children from my son’s school always look so much smarter than the other schools.

What does smartness actually equate to? I would equate smartness as simply having an 'ordered appearance' ie shirt tucked in, clean clothes, polished shoes, etc, Let's be sensible here, it does not need to be expensive. I know that this uniform may sound a little "fancier", than most, but that does not mean it is smarter than a plainer uniform. It's just not right to make such judgements. Most grammars have blazers, ties, etc, The finer details are just irrelevant.
jah

Post by jah »

Year 10 daughter's grammar school uniform is very smart; but not necessarily when she's the one wearing it!!

A comp near us, not the one year 6 daughter will be going to, has reintroduced blazers, and it really does make a difference to the appearance. The pupils who go there can't be particularly well off, so the blazer must be relatively cheap.

Blazers help organisation too as they have pockets; so sadly lacking in sufficient quantities in girls' uniform. Year 10 daughter doesn't wear a blazer now but a sort of long cardigan, so she wears a bumbag with it.

Year 6 daughter's new school doesn't have a blazer, and the children wear all sorts of different jackets. I'm going to get her something nice and plain in the school colour, because it does look better.

I'm going to suggest to the school that they try a school fleece or something. Our primary has them and they are not too expensive.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

[quote="jah"]

Blazers help organisation too as they have pockets; so sadly lacking in sufficient quantities in girls' uniform. Year 10 daughter doesn't wear a blazer now but a sort of long cardigan, so she wears a bumbag with it

I think all schools should have blazers. They can be purchased as cheaply as the sweatshirt/jumpers/fleeces that many of the schools supply. They are far more practical for money/phones, etc. There are quite a few grammars in our area but only the boys have the blazers, as the girls, (so I am told!), are not so keen on them. None of the comps have them, which is a shame as there is too much distinction between the grammars and non-grammars, which can have quite a negative impact on those at the non-grammars, or amongst siblings who end up at different schools.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now