Driving test theory-Licence required!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Clare

Driving test theory-Licence required!

Post by Clare »

Thank you to all who responded to the question about the length of the driving theory test.

Took daughter on Friday but she wasn't allowed to do it as she hadn't taken the paper part of the licence.

Talking to friends there have been quite a few who have come unstuck because of this.

So posting this so others don't make our mistake.

The roads are still safe!
Thingsbehindthesun

Re: Driving test theory-Licence required!

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

I actually did this too and was very embarrassed because I hadn't read the paper properly. :oops:

When is she retaking it?
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

DD1 accidentally threw away the paper part of her licence as she didn't think she needed it, and had to order another licence before she sat her practical test! :oops:

It's a bit ridiculous though - what other country insists on having an important document such as driving licence in two parts? :evil: :roll:
Marylou
Clare

Post by Clare »

Well I tried to rebook it for her but it came up with an error message-candidate already has an exam booked!

Guess it takes a few days to clear off the system.

She wants to do it asap as she has learnt the material!
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Mine has her actual driving test in a couple of days - tried the manoeuvres this weekend, not so good :( OH and she are no longer talking -help :shock: She actually lost her card a couple of weeks ago, and we had to request a new one, it was a bit of a worry to see if it would arrive in time, but it only took about 5 days, thankfully.

Now we just need to find the bit of paper that says she's passed the theory ....now where on earth could that be :shock:
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Looking for help wrote:
Now we just need to find the bit of paper that says she's passed the theory ....now where on earth could that be :shock:
Our DD managed to lose that as well :oops: (we're so organized :lol: ) but you can get a replacement free of charge from the DVLS...it takes a few days to arrive though, but if you phone them they might be able to get it to you in time for the test.

Good luck to your DD! :)

P.S. Of course, the original letter turned up after DD had taken the test... :roll:
Marylou
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I believe we have all paperwork ....so fingers crossed, although it is a double edged sword. We have spent a fortune on lessons, now, and i would like her to pass, but then I will spend the next year in abject panic about her driving....aaaarggghhhh. Horrible this all is :(
Eraldo

Post by Eraldo »

Hi All
I am thinking of giving a try to get my driving license from 2009. But couldn't find time to go thorough the theory notes. I heard that it has-theory test has changed . can please somebody let me know what all changes for the Theory test -2012 hopefully I should go through the theory atleast this year. i got a book which has hundreds of pages that take another year, so please again can somebody recommend any easy way of going through the theory. i am different from the others I feel nervous for my theory rather than practical may my age ...i have to remember and click the hazard ..correctly..please advise ..considering its for a middle aged woman :lol: -thanks
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

Eraldo wrote:Hi All
I am thinking of giving a try to get my driving license from 2009. But couldn't find time to go thorough the theory notes. I heard that it has-theory test has changed . can please somebody let me know what all changes for the Theory test -2012 hopefully I should go through the theory atleast this year. i got a book which has hundreds of pages that take another year, so please again can somebody recommend any easy way of going through the theory. i am different from the others I feel nervous for my theory rather than practical may my age ...i have to remember and click the hazard ..correctly..please advise ..considering its for a middle aged woman :lol: -thanks
The theory now has a hazard perception component and you view 14 hazard video clips on screen and you have to find 15 hazards - at least one on each clip.But one clip will have 2 hazards. The hazards could include vehicles, pedestrians and road conditions. You respond by pressing a mouse button as soon as you see a hazard developing that results in the driver having to take some action, such as changing speed or direction. The earlier the hazard is spotted,the higher the score.

With theory there are lots of free practise tests online you could use to practise. :D
Last edited by Thingsbehindthesun on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You have to spot the hazard in the 'scoring window' - it take a bit of practice.

A quick internet search will find practice material.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now