learning an instrument - how long til take grade 1

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Friscol

Re: learning an instrument - how long til take grade 1

Post by Friscol »

My children have all progressed at different rates and 3 of them have several grade 8's in differing instruments. It appears the instrument has a big impact on rate of progress. But MOST IMPORTANTLY the amount of time spent practising affects progress.
The one who learned piano first then went on to get grade 8 in two other instruments in a very short amounts of time (voice - 2 yrs, trumpet 3 years). Now study piano performance at uni.
The ones who played treble cleff instruments first took longer to achieve grade 8 piano and didn't get distinctions.
Two of my children teach and they have piano students who get grade 1 in less than a year and those who take several years - it all depends on a amount of time spent practising.
All of my children (lots) have always been grateful they had the chance to learn and love their music.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Although I am not belittling the voice - it is my favourite instrument - the skill and time needed to get to grade 8 on voice cannot be compared to a mechanical instrument. I'm pretty sure I could pass grade 8 singing with a couple of weeks worth of practice and I'm not a musician, I just have a very good ear and a good voice. I could not get to grade 8 in a couple of years on any instrument though! I do know of many grade 8 pianists who have attained grade 8 on wind within a year. Age and experience has been the main factors in achieving this.
Friscol

Post by Friscol »

I think you just said more succinctly what I was trying to say. Thanks
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I think to answer your question, all children are different and learn at different rates. The length of time to get to grade 1 is dependent on a number of factors - the age of the child, the instrument. It is also important not to rush through the grades, in particular if the child is to get any enjoyment out of music, after all for most of us, it is about enjoyment, not about a career, or music scholarship.

My oldest plays piano to a very high standard, it was his instrument for A Level Music - although he probably only got to grade 3 or 4, (when he was about 13) because he couldn't abide the music he was being asked to play. He stopped with the grades at that point, and played merely for his own and our enjoyment. He also plays guitar, but never took any grades, again just for his own enjoyment. He was in a band with some friends, and even played in a few gigs around the place.

My two girls learned piano for about a year, and really didn't enjoy it at all, so we stopped, although one of them had singing lessons for a while, which again she loved, but she was never interested in grades.

My youngest also plays piano, and cello, although he's played the piano longer he is at the same level in terms of grades - I think the requirement to read music makes the piano a little more tricky - my dad always said that if you can play the piano, you can pick up anything else - he was a really talented musician.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

A friend of mine's son started guitar lessons and he didn't enjoy them at all because his music teacher was quite formal and kept pushing the idea of doing his grade 1. He changed teachers and my friend stressed that he was playing for enjoyment and although it would be nice for him to get some grades under his belt in time, there was no rush. The new music teacher was great, he got my friend's son to help him select the tunes they played and seemed to be taking the softly, softly approach. A year on he has just passed his grade 2 and is so good that his teacher wants him to work towards his grade 4. My friend has been pleasantly surprised by his progress and sings the praises of his 'canny' music teacher.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks for your replies. It's tricky, I think, because you don't want to push them so much that they begin to hate the instrument but, at the same time, anything worth learning can sometimes be really difficult and it would be so easy to give up at that point. It's that that I'm trying to avoid. Perhaps the practising every day thing is the thing to concentrate on.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

fatbananas wrote:Perhaps the practising every day thing is the thing to concentrate on.
Please let me into the secret if you achieve this :D

I think, as a few posters have mentioned, enjoyment is the key. Let us know what you decide x
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Actually, I don't think practicing everyday is a good thing, I'd suggest practicing five days a week with a two day gap to let the brain cells fuse together.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Ok! 5 days out of 7. Bondgirl/ WFG, have you had experience of DC hitting a pain barrier when learning their instrument and wanting to give up (it seems to be quite common amongst DS's friends!). If so, how have you managed this?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think the important thing is that they enjoy the pieces they are playing.

My DC has always chosen the exam pieces and also did Jazz Flute grade 5 for 'fun' - playing in various windbands, orchestras etc is also important - enjoy learning and you will want to practise!