Advice - what to do with Exchange partner in London......

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Minesh

Advice - what to do with Exchange partner in London......

Post by Minesh »

Yes some of you will say what!! - don't know what to do in London but just want some tips for 14 year olds ~(boys) to visit - evenings and weekend
any advice is welcome - even if sounds obvious to you - i 'm not a great trip/activities planner organiser etc. :wink: :?:

lambbone

Re: Advice - what to do with Exchange partner in London.....

Post by lambbone »

So whereabouts are you - in the middle of London or will you have to take a train in?

I have some suggestions, but they might vary depending on your location.

Also, what is your son interested in? His interests may not be the same as the visitor's, but at least if your son is enthusiastic, that should rub off.

And what's the budget?
um

Post by um »

The Tower of London and the crown jewels. You can take Thames cruises from there too.

The Natural History and Science museums. You can walk up the road to Hyde Park and row on the Serpentine too.
tense

Post by tense »

My DD (Yr10) had a French exchange student to stay a few months ago. Since you are looking for weekend / evening tips, I assume your exchange is via your DS's school? If so, don't worry about it too much!

I really thought long & hard about what we should do with the 'exchange'. They went out as a group together during the school day & covered most of the local sites & all the top ones in London. But I needn't have worried. Teenagers are full of their own plans, & the home / away kids spent much of their free time together.

Most days were long & the children had work to do so we didn't do much on weekday evenings - just chatted & had a couple of meals out - I had another pair round one night. At the weekend, a group went to Camden market one day & Thorpe park the next. They had a pizza night en masse, and on the Saturday night some brave parent held a party.

The time just flew by & we all actually wished the exchange had been longer. I would find out what plans your DS & his friends are hatching, but it is good to have a couple of ideas up your sleeve. Sports / bowling are good (no need for constant talking!!).

Good luck!
Minesh

Post by Minesh »

thanks very much tense and um, lambbone- we are in North London - 15 mins walk from tube

yes school exchange - would like to hear suggestions lambbone

thanks tense - that's a view i had not considered
Amber

Post by Amber »

Keep seeing that title and wanting to post 'exchange them for something more interesting' but that wouldn't be in the spirit, would it?
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

Amber wrote:Keep seeing that title and wanting to post 'exchange them for something more interesting' but that wouldn't be in the spirit, would it?
:lol:

London Zoo, Sherlock holmes museum, london aquarium?
la boume

Post by la boume »

We've done: Sat Thorpe Park (not my idea), consumed the whole day
Sun London Eye+Madame Tussauds with traditional pub lunch in between. Also nearly the whole day.
In the evening they entertained themselves, meeting with the other students and going to Macdo, bowling and cinema together.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now